I failed NJ inspection!!!

Joopin

Super Moderator
This sucks!!!

I went this morning, and after waiting around for them to finish thier coffee I finally got to drive in.

They measure the tires, they pass, 36" is the max they allow and that's what I have.

I also passed the braking test, which is good cause I rebuilt the brakes myself and I'm glad I have over sized shoes on the D44!

I failed the emissions, too much Carbon... who knows what I have to do to fix that.

I have to take my Aux lights off my windshield... That's just plain dumb, they don't even work right now.

AND I failed cause I'm too high!! I am 2.5 inches too high, from the floor to the bottom of the door, max allowed is 32 inches.

I have 45 days to fix all this, I have to get around it, especially the lift. It's all suspention! It's not like I can take blocks off or a BL off... I'm pissed... Can you tell? :evil:

Joop

Stick some factory 28" tires on it temporarily - will look goofy as all get out but should get you low enough!

atf in transfer case?

Damn!!! That sucks!!

Think you could get by with smaller tires? 31's should lower you by about 2-1/2". It'll look awful funny though. I've got 32's if you want to borrow them but they might be too tall. I guess I was wrong about the SOA being illegal in NJ. that's a good thing.

Did they do any tip over testing?

Did you mean CO or CO2? Both can be corrected with a tune-up and leaning out the mixture.

jules

RE: Check out my new CarDomain Site!

Sorry Joop, that must suck, but look at the bright side.............Can't think of one now, but keep looking for it.

RE: Broken rear axle

Jules, the paper says CO... thats carbon right?

I heard that there is a place about 1 hour 45 min south of me, in Winslow, they are less strict I think... I'm lookin into it.

They didn't let me do the stability test until I get the first part done I guess... But it looked like a big cement ramp you drive up on, piece of Cake. Oh and I think if you put smaller tires on that wont work... They give you a slip of paper after the stability test with all the hieghts and tire size on it, your vehicle has to match the card when and if you get pulled over. I've never been asked for stablity papers yet though. I have been driving around in Jersey for over a year like this and was never bothered... I dont get why the inspection place is on my back.

Damn, makes me wanna move outta this State!
CO is Carbon Monoxide, CO2 is Carbon Dioxide, definitely lean it out and tune it up. Do you have a Cat on there?
I say put smaller tires on for the test. If the Cop questions your papers, tell him you just got new tires.
"PAPERS"!!!! Are we in Russia?!?!?

I do have a cat, it's a CatCo high flow cat. How do i "lean it out"? I have a TJ O2 sensor on there, I dunno if it is on there right since I had to splice the wires in there myself and 2 of the 4 colors didn't match up.

Joopin said:
AND I failed cause I'm too high!! I am 2.5 inches too high, from the floor to the bottom of the door, max allowed is 32 inches.
Joop

Simple, just lower the doors. :lol:

Sorry man, that sucks. It sounds like you've got some work ahead of you to get that thing legal.

south442 said:
Joopin said:
Joop

Simple, just lower the doors. :lol:

Sorry man, that sucks. It sounds like you've got some work ahead of you to get that thing legal.

I was actually thinking that when they told me, I could just cut the opening 2.5 inches lower, and weld a skirt across the door! .... yeah it would look dumb, but i bet they would pass it cause they are hung up on measurements.

Joopin said:
I do have a cat, it's a CatCo high flow cat. How do i "lean it out"? I have a TJ O2 sensor on there, I dunno if it is on there right since I had to splice the wires in there myself and 2 of the 4 colors didn't match up.

My Bad, I thought you had a carbed YJ. I'm not sure if you can lean out a 4.0. Maybe just give it a good tune and clean out the IAC. If your O2 sensors are not right or hooked up, it could send you to an overrich state.

Hey!! What if you took the doors off? :wink:

Re: RE: atf in transfer case?

Man, that does suck!! Thank God Kansas doesn't do any inspections. Only if the vehicle is purchased out of state, and then it's only basics, like brakes, lights, turn signals, and tire wear.

I echo the thought about putting on some little 28's to clear the height requirement, and if you get pulled over and asked for your papers, go with the new tire thing. I can't imagine them asking for papers, but then again, I can't believe all the crap you get inspected on! 3/4 of the vehicles in Kansas couldn't pass inspection if they had it. Not near as many smokers as I used to see, but as far as lights, vehicle height, tire wear.....no way they'd pass. Funny thing, I got pulled over years ago for having my amber fog lights on in my Toyota...I just forgot they were on....but after the cop told me what he pulled me over for, I asked him how long his headlight had been out! Yeah, he had a burnt out headlight on his cruiser!! He laughed, and sheepishly told me he'd let me off with a warning if I promised not to tell his boss about the headlight!!! All in all, he was a pretty good cop, friendly and funny. I suppose there are some (yeah, I've met a few) that would've taken it the wrong way and written me up big.

Sorry to hear about your inspection woes.....hope it goes better next time. If it doesn't, come on out here to Tornado Alley.....you're always welcome here!!

RE: Re: RE: atf in transfer case?

Hey, my brother failed inspection here in NJ and hes been driving around with the recjected sticker on for like almost 2 years. When he gets pulled over he just says, i failed last week and didn't get it fixed yet. try that. it works

RE: Re: RE: atf in transfer case?

LGR said:
Hey, my brother failed inspection here in NJ and hes been driving around with the recjected sticker on for like almost 2 years. When he gets pulled over he just says, i failed last week and didn't get it fixed yet. try that. it works

I tried that once. It was only 2 weeks past the limit and I was leaving the "closed" inspection station to check the times they were open. Cop was waiting right down the road and didn't want to hear a word. No points, but a frickin' fine! :x

Yeah, I know guys who have very old failed stickers who never get caught.

like rolling the dice......................

The thing is they didn't even give me a FAILED sticker! I don't think so anyway... I'll have to check but I was watching them pretty closely. The sticker is just a blue square right?

Hey does anyone know what happens if the 45 days runs out and I still dont have it inspected? I guess it's like those guys with the old stickers... but the guys at the shop said something about a penalty on the Reg.

I may have to do the small tires thing, but I am going to wait to see what this other inspection station says, but its down by Atlantic City darn it.

Hey joop. Why not find a cheapo set of stock YJ rims and tires to use when the inspections come around.

You could move to my lovely Michigan... As long as you have at least three wheels and a windshield, you can be on our roads. Beware the potholes of Michigan, though, they are like a party that everyone was invited to, and everyone that was invited to said party decided to put large holes in the road :)

Seriously, though, I cannot believe that these states can be so anal retentive about some of this stuff... Oh well, you know what you live with, I suppose.

Cast Iron Welding?

I was actually thinking that when they told me, I could just cut the opening 2.5 inches lower, and weld a skirt across the door! .... yeah it would look dumb, but i bet they would pass it cause they are hung up on measurements.

would be easier to get your foot in! 8)

RE: Cast Iron Welding?

did you try injector cleaner? also runnning high octane gas will lower your emissions. Also, if you haven't done it lately.. do a full tuneup on the engine. Be responsible.. get it fixed - don't try to get by it.....

RE: attn Snitty Joopin

graewulf said:
Be responsible.. get it fixed - don't try to get by it.....

Ya, you need to make up for all the crap my vehicles put into the air 8) .

Man, I'm sure lucky we don't have ANY emission tests or vehicle inspections here in Oregon!!

Back