I failed NJ inspection!!!

Re: RE:

Don't stress.

30" or smaller tires will get you under legal height

The lights can come off and go back on afterward

FOr the emissions, sure it would be nice for a permanent solution but you can get by with a little creative work. Run the tank down to about 1/4 tank, throw in a bottle of the "Guaranteed to pass emissions or your money back" stuff they sell at almost every auto parts store, run it hard before you get there and she'll sail through. I've known at least 5 people who used that junk with great success ;)

As for being a jerk, well putting a 45 day deadline on you doesn't leave much choice. Get it passed and then worry about the fact you are a bad citizen because your Jeep puts out a fraction of the pollution of a diesel. :roll: Seriously though, you probably should get it right, but let's face it, first priority is just getting it on the road legally!

RE: Cold Engine - Good/Warm Engine - Bad?

Well the height issue is the stupid part, my lift is ALL suspention, Pure SOA... so there is no body lift or blocks I can take off (the guy was looking for them) and the only other option is to air down to almost nothing, or change the tires.

First I am going to find out what the CORRECT lift laws are in NJ. I have read that the 38" tires are the max size allowed, but they told me it was 36"... which totally DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. If I have 2.5 inches LESS of a lift that would give me 3.5" of lift, and the max size of tire is 36"??? HMM lets's think about this... Do they want everyone to have the tires hitting the flares? OH THATS REAL SAFE!! The rules that they told me totally contradict themselves.

I found this on another message board I am with...
http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/bbs...r=21201&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Whew!! Read that link........remind me never to move to Jersey

I think this is one of the dumbest ones on there:

(4) Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.

Why? I mean, yeah, I can understand not actually having them turned on while driving on public roads, but having to have them covered?!? Gimme a break!!!!

Ok, and tire diameter can't be more than 38" or 6" over stock, whichever is less. So, if my YJ stock tire size is 29", then I couldn't go bigger than 35"? Sheesh!!! Yet another reason I choose to live in Kansas despite all the references to Dorothy and Toto. I can live with Dorothy.....I couldn't live with vehicle inspections like those!

Re: RE: Paragon Feb 19th

Sparky-Watts said:
I think this is one of the dumbest ones on there:

(4) Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.

Why? I mean, yeah, I can understand not actually having them turned on while driving on public roads, but having to have them covered?!? Gimme a break!!!!
!

You can thank the morons that drive with them on while on the highway for that law....

88Wrangles said:
graewulf said:
Be responsible.. get it fixed - don't try to get by it.....

Ya, you need to make up for all the crap my vehicles put into the air 8) .

Man, I'm sure lucky we don't have ANY emission tests or vehicle inspections here in Oregon!!

Makes me glad I don't live in Oregon... I've never been there, but Florida has the same thing.. and I'd say 20% of the vehicles on the road down there are just plain unsafe - some are outright death traps... Safety inspections are done for a reason... sure, you may know how to maintain your vehicle, but many people don't and choose not to.

RE: do you guys think these is a fair price for these my jee

the reason laws and inspections are done like that are because some people would create death traps by not maintainingt their vehicles or modifying beyond a safe level. Its for the safety of everyone on the road.

Well, it's very rare to see vehicles here that look outright dangerous. I was simply talking about the emissions part, lifts, tires, and that sort of thing. Things that aren't neccessarily dangerous...If you know what your doing.

And, air polution is really not a big thing here. Ya, I live in a HUGE valley (willamette valley), but it's still pretty clean air.

RE: Re: RE: No heat

the reason laws and inspections are done like that are because some people would create death traps by not maintainingt their vehicles or modifying beyond a safe level. Its for the safety of everyone on the road.

Not trying to argue, but some people create a death trap simply by getting behind the wheel, but we dont make our licensing tests any tougher.

Nathan

Oh yea, how often do you have to do these inspections?? It would be a royal PITA, but is there anyway you could temporarily put shorter shackles on?? That and a combination of letting some air out of the tires get enough lower to pass? Not real practical I guess, but Im just trying to throw ideas out for ya.

Nathan

RE: Re: RE: Adventures in the Gadget Cave

NJ inspections are every 2 years. I don't think they make shackles any shorter than stock, which is what I have... I was talking to a guy that lives north of me and he said that he drove down to Winslow inspection center and they passed him. They also passed an XJ with a 10" lift and 38s! This is all hearsay, but I may just clean up the emissions and head down there to the sticks.

Daily Driver 87 YJ Rust - Fix it?

I've got an idea. Wrap some straps around your frame, then down around your axle. Use a come-a-long to pull the Jeep's frame down real tight and then tighten the straps. Maybe you can get it to compress down 2.5" and stay there. hehehe!!

88Wrangles said:
I've got an idea. Wrap some straps around your frame, then down around your axle. Use a come-a-long to pull the Jeep's frame down real tight and then tighten the straps. Maybe you can get it to compress down 2.5" and stay there. hehehe!!

haha! Thats just crazy enough to work! They might ask what the straps are for though...

RE: 39.5" super swamper tires on black rock krawler rim

In NY, we have strict inspections once a year. Every year, they change the color of the sticker, and on Jan 1st, those cops are on a rampage looking for stickers of the wrong color. There is one fine for driving a noninspected vehicle up to 30 days expired, and another for over 30 days. This applies to parked vehicles too. I got 2 expired inspection parking tickets ($50 each) this year.

In NY, anything pre-OBD2 doesn't need to do a sniffer test, just a visual on equipment. As for OBD2, I don't want one, no thanks, I'll pass on that. If the check engine light is on, it fails. And there has to be so many hours after it is reset before the machine will accept it.

As for you joop... What if you got it inspected with one size tire, then bought new ones? I'm assuming that's how it went last time. If you buy bigger tires, do you have to get inspected again?

32" to the door, your so lucky, here in ma it is 28", I have no clue how th enew ford super duty's pass.. I just get a "legal" ticket.....

hhmmm

hmmmm

Back