How much of a motor mount lift is needed for a flat belly?

Craig

I have a 3" bodylift and I want to do a motor mount lift to even everything out underneath for a flat skidplate. How much of a MML do I need to do this? Also wondering about the flat skidplate. Can I just bolt up a flat peice of steel plate or is there any special mods that I'll have to do to it? Anyone have any pics or links to making a flat skidplate?
I also have a York compressor under the hood sitting upright. Haven't had a chance to measure yet but if I do the MML will there still be enough clearance to keep it upright or will I have to put it back on it's side?

GL5 or GL3?

Teraflex suggests 1" for YJs with automatic transmission and 2" for YJs with manual transmission

RE: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

1 inch will set you up high enough. It's not as easy as just putting a piece of steel plate under there. You will need to fab up a new transmission/tcase mount on the steel plate. I took parts off my stock transmission/tcase mount and fabbed up a new mount. Its a pain in the neck but it is a great mod you will enjoy. If you can find a company that makes a kit for it, your best bet is to go with one of those. This project can be time consuming. Have fun!

Sully said:
1 inch will set you up high enough. It's not as easy as just putting a piece of steel plate under there. You will need to fab up a new transmission/tcase mount on the steel plate. I took parts off my stock transmission/tcase mount and fabbed up a new mount. Its a pain in the neck but it is a great mod you will enjoy. If you can find a company that makes a kit for it, your best bet is to go with one of those. This project can be time consuming. Have fun!
Do you have any pictures of the mods you did to make the skidplate?

This is as close as I could get to being flat with my SM465 4 speed. We raised the drivetrain 3" but had to drop a few notches into the plate due to the depth of the transmission. The plate is made from 3/8 steel and we strengthened it across the top with 1/8 angle turned over like an upside down V.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

the best way to do it, or so ive found is to eliminate the stock transmission mount and replace it with a crossmember that holds the transmission independant from the skid plate. the way i did it was to take a piece of 1"x1"x3/16" and put bushings on each end. i took a piece of angle iron that was 2"x4" and welded it square onto the back of the crossmember so i had a lip for the transmission mount to sit on. i then put ears on the frame and adjusted the height of my crossmember to as high as my drive shaft would allow. keep in mind im running an soa on 2inch springs. i also have an inch motor mount lift. you can stuff it as high as you want and you totally eliminate that annoying 2 inch thick transmission mount.

Back