How much lift?

Sean81

Hey guys. Wanted to know what you guys are running for lift and tire combos on your cj's and how they are on road but still working well off road. Which is best in your opinion 4" and 33's or 6" and 35's or bigger? Thanks

I'm new to the site and have a similar question. I just bought an 83 CJ7 with the 258 and everything else completely stock. I've decided against my better judgment and am installing a 4" lift on it this weekend (instead of a safe 2.5 lift). I've wondered what size of tire would be best. I don't want to put too much strain on the old engine and brakes, ideally I'd like to run 33's, but any advice would be helpful!

4" lift, 35" tire should be fine.

I had a cj7 with 36" irok bias (measure closer to 37") with a 4" lift and some fender trimming, I was able to re-use the stock fender flares so it didn't look too goofy, TJ flares would also work well, but on a CJ IMHO look kinda out of place.
I did have some rubbing on the front inner fender at full stuff with the tires turned, but nothing that would hurt anything. I can see if I can find pics, I got rid of the CJ years back.

I had 33s on my CJ7 with about 4" of lift (spring, body, and shackle with TJ flares) and it did well.

I don't know if you'd have to regear with 35s though.

Back