How do you wire a stock subwoofer?

The Todfather

I recently found this site and used the advice of a few members and purchased a Pyramid WX65X 6.5 in woofer which was recommended as a good inexpensive replacement for the stock subwoofer. I found that it will mount right up with only having to drill new holes (was told to be very careful as plastic is soft in this area). Still have the question of which wires to attach where. My stock woofer in the 2002 Wrangler has 4 wires and none are marked positive or negative. Anybody know which colors go where without simply doing the trial and error thing? Can all 4 wires be attached, even though 2 on each side would essentially be tied together?

I dont recall which wires i used but take note of the pair that comes off on each terminal. I only used one of each wire to wire it up to a Bose sub woofer.

Thanks. I did see alot of replies indicating that only 2 wires were used. I assume that performance is same with only the 2 wires and go that way. Will test before i put everything back together! I really appreciate the usefullness of this forum!

Well isnt the stock sub a dual voice coil? if so then 2 wire goes to one coil and the other 2 go to the other coil.

Problem is that the replacement woofer i purchased had only 2 terminals to mount to. Got it to work fine but does not seem to sound as good as the stock one. Assuming the stock one is a dual voice coil, which i am sure you are correct, probably explains this. Next time i will look for one with a dual coil. Thanks for the info!

Back