How do you remove a rubber bushing?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to replace the bushing on my JKS trackbar. The trackbar has a rubber bushing inside of a metal sleeve on the axle end, and looks like this:

front-adjustable-trackbar-jks-ogs121a_5487.jpg

And the replacement bushing looks like this
835770_jk_trackbar_bushing_web_ready.jpg

Mentally I know I just need to push the bushing out. The problem comes in the real world application.
I've tried putting a large socket over the end that should pop out, then putting a C clamp on the whole thing and tightening. All that ends up doing is moving the rubber out 1/4 - 1/2 inch. My fear is that I'll destroy the current bushing and be left with the metal sleeve frozen in place (and not be able to drive my Jeep).

So, is there a trick for removing these type of bushings?

Terry, on aftermarket applications like that, I usually tear up the rubber bushing to make the hole larger inside. Just enough to slip in a hacksaw blade and attach the handle to the saw. Carefully cut the sleeve until you can collapse it in the track bar hole. It should come out after that. To install, dab a little lube on the outside of the bushing sleeve then use a socket that will rest on the shoulder of the bushing sleeve, not the rubber then press it in..

I have three well proven methods;

1. Press is out, if this is not available.
2. As close as you can to the ID of the track bar sleeve, using a 1/8" drill bit, drill a series of holes around the circumfrance then hammer it out.
3. Light it on fire and wait for the rubber to burn up to the point that you can remove the bushing.

Terry, on aftermarket applications like that, I usually tear up the rubber bushing to make the hole larger inside. Just enough to slip in a hacksaw blade and attach the handle to the saw. Carefully cut the sleeve until you can collapse it in the track bar hole. It should come out after that. To install, dab a little lube on the outside of the bushing sleeve then use a socket that will rest on the shoulder of the bushing sleeve, not the rubber then press it in..

I can do that. It sounds like the sleeve / collar is likely fused to the track bar.

Thanks!

I have three well proven methods;

1. Press is out, if this is not available.
2. As close as you can to the ID of the track bar sleeve, using a 1/8" drill bit, drill a series of holes around the circumfrance then hammer it out.
3. Light it on fire and wait for the rubber to burn up to the point that you can remove the bushing.

I had forgotten about it, but I did number 2 on some bushings on my old CJ.

I'm going to pull the track bar off the Jeep and put it in my vice, then go ahead and destroy the rubber bushing. I was trying to baby it too much and pull it out in one neat piece. I just need to go ape on it.

I have used a torch (small screw on bottle torch) to heat the rubber bushing and it will slide right out when the rubber gets hot. You have to clean the inside out once the bushing is out though and that is kinda messy, melted rubber. I use sand paper.

Back