hot in run and start

I,m sure some of you are following the FI install follies. As you know my wiring harness was severely butchered. I bet I don't have 10 inches of original wiring without some caveman splice or wire replacement. I need a wire that is hot in run and start. I have tried the red w/white tracer as some have and a bunch of wires going to the gages. No luck in that. I have looked at 9 or 10 diagrams on line and in my Chilton's and can either not locate the wire I need or if I do its only hot in run or start. Can someone tell me a spot on the fuse panel that is hot R/S. Honestly at this point I am worried about burning something up and I don't want to just try every wire. The connector on the steering colum has a few red wires. the stripped on is hot all the time any guess on the others. Also I am afraid to just keep cranking on the engine everytime I make a splice. thanks
Jim

I don't understand what your trying to accomplish for this hot lead your looking for? , please elaborate a little more clearly. In 99.9 percent of the time, a run circuit will be hot with key on then the circuit switches over to the start circuit with the ignition switch then back to the run circuit after the engine starts. If you tie in a starter circuit , you will engage the starter solenoid if you feed it with a positive voltage with or without the key on the run position.

Need to supply power to the computer for a fuel injection kit.

Last edited:
I think you are over thinking the situation....you should be able to find a switched hot at your fuse block...or add a line to an open spare.

Good luck

I'm not over thinking anything. I simply need a hot in R/S to power the computer for the Howell Kit. The previous owners have mutilated my wiring harness. There is a birds nest of wires under the dash some just hanging others with two or 3 taps off the line. Some with 2 or 3 different colors spliced into it. I simply want to start my wifes jeep. I do not want to probe every wire, try to crank it and do this over and over. Its over 100 out here and it gets hot inside the jeep and I can only do one maybe two wire checks before I have to take a break. I am due for back surgery as soon as the insurance company gives approval and can not stay in any position to probe the wires for very long. Due to the changes in the color of the wires and caveman wires stuck into every concievable spot on the fuse panel i do not wish to disable something and cause more troubleshooting till I am physically able to. I am simply asking if anyone knows of a hot in R/S is on the fuse panel. I have done every thing that I can think of or I would not be here asking for help.

Back