hey tug

jeep90

currently i am lookin at two cj's, 81 cj5 and a 85 cj7. i would be going from a yj to a cj.....i remember you sayin that the cj was ok but you would much rather have your yj. what is it that you dont like about the cj? all the carb crap? just tryin to figure out if im gonna like this transition. if its just the carb issues im used to them by now. i have a 1990 with the weber. thanks in advance

87 Cherokee engine flooding

Mod options far out weight the cj both is choice and price. I like the suspension and stance of the YJ better. Parts are much ezer to come by and are not already worn plum out, from a YJ in a bone yard. I like the interior better, the front end better, I like the driver friendly aspects of the yj better. What can I say I am just sold on the YJ if for no other reason personal preferance. To each his or her own I guess. tug

i really think also it is a personal prefrencec, ive never owned a YJ but im ridden in many, and it is really just if you like the feel of driving an old car or a new(er) car better..... but if you are big and do alot of driving, on the road i would pass on the 5, b/c they are really small for DDs...even when mine was running i drove it every day

alright, I got the 1980 cj5, thought it was a 81 but whats the difference. so far so good but i will be posting some ????? in the cj yj tj forum. and my dad now drives my yj so its still in the family :D

why did you chose the 5 over the 7, unless you ride alot of tight trails i wouldnt chose a 5 and i own one.... but congrats of your purchase.... lets hear the details

got the cj5 because when i went to see the 7 all i seen was rust on wheels. the 5 isnt bad the only problem is im 6 foot 2 and 210 pounds and that stupid hump behind the door is hard to get by on the way in. its a 1980 with a little four banger, and a four barrell holley. four barrell on a four cyl ??. its gonna come out soon anyway as soon as i get to use my vacation time.33 inch mud tires and a small shackel lift. its in "decent" shape, i paid 1500 for it, did i get robbed?? even with the four cyl. it still has more power then my 1990 6 cyl. yj did lol. says hawk on the side of the hood, is that a special edition or just a decal. anybody know what axels and transmission are in this thing??? and is reverse right beside first in all the cj5's??? cant see too many big problems yet but the frame is starting to rust right under the rear body mounts, hopefully i can just get someone to weld in a new piece and not replace the whole frame. but thats about it

you didnt get robbed.... but i have to ask about rust on the wheels?? but the 5 has it on the frame? your axles are d30 and amc 20, you have a dana300 tcase w/ 2.6 low range, and what shape is the shifter for the transmission in (i.e. straight or curved?)

sorry this is what i meant by rust on wheels, picture a big piece of rust driving around on four wheels. lmao the 7 had nice american racing wheels. lol shoulda worded that a little different

is it that bad???? right now it seems ok, shifting fine. kinda limited on funds so ill have to keep it till it goes out. what is the problem with those transmissions are they just weak?? and if it does go what should i replace it with???

it is pretty weak.... if it goes you will want to try and get a t176 if you dont need OD and a t5 if you do need OD

Back