Help!

sthrnplntr

OK guys, I got my new (OLD) jeep back home now and have started looking at it pretty good, the taillights are missing, went to find out which wires to hook where and when the brake pedal is mashed the front parking lights and side markers come on? I'm not an electrical genius but I'm figuring someone put the wrong two plugs together somewhere. But right now thats the least of my worries, while digging around under it saw that the tub is badly rusted all around, and I'm thinking new tub? the front quarter panels and hood are ok, tailgate and doors are usable, and frame looks ok from what I can see. Anybody have any suggestions on what kind of tub? Fiberglass or steel? best place to look for one? Do I have to remove the motor to take the tub off? I'm lost guys, I have a body shop friend that I'll be seeing monday, and my mechanic is going to look at the motor for me, but I'm hoping for suggestions from you guys too
sorry, forgot to mention it's an 86 CJ-7

Last edited:

If you put tail lights on, they should work properly. if the park lights still come on, then grab your multi meter and go to work finding where the wiring is wrong. in lots of older vehicles, when there is no resistance or the circut is not completed for a bulb (bulb or flasher), it will cause something else to light up.

as for the tub, fiberglass is nice, but it is a PITA to swap on.. I would suggest finding a 92-95 YJ tub, 99% bolt on, just need to cut a hold in the windshield cowl for the defroster vent and move two of the body mounts on the frame (actually pretty easy and straight foward. if you think this is too much, it is less than if you go fiberglass.
You should be able to remove the 8 bolts holding the tub to the frame, unbolt the hood and the front fenders and the master/booster assembally. pull the steering shaft and lift it off about an inch. then chase all the wires to where they terminate into a plug or harness, label them and unplug.

Thnaks for the advice, I think the hazards/turn signal switch may be the culprit for the taillights not working, its cracked and not working, trying that soon, and got a body guy helping me find a used tub, so your advice is right on! Thanks alot!!!

Tubs aren't hard to find and easier to swap than trying to fix all that rust.
I would go with a used tub, but second choice would be aluminum. I wouln't even consider fiberglass, but that's just me.

do NOT use a JC Whitney tub. I bought one for my 77 and it looked ok out of the crate so i accepted it. i then prepared and painted it while it was off the frame. when i whent to put it all together it was noticably WARPED. i had to really do some tricking to match everything up. later when i was assembling it i had major bending to fit the soft top and doors. next i bought a hard topand it was 3 inches too high at the right side of the windsheild when the rest was flush where it belonged ! ( i put eye hooks through the top and turnbuckles inside to pull it down into place ) next the edges of the tub starte cracking and opening up voids where the glass failed to fill to the gel coat ! i had to inject resin whith a large syringe and repaint MANY times. seems this company used 2nds or 3rds sold at the same price for good tubs...bottom line go with quadra trac or another reputable company for your tub. !!!

if you go glass...do NOT use a JC Whitney tub. I bought one for my 77 and it looked ok out of the crate so i accepted it. i then prepared and painted it while it was off the frame. when i whent to put it all together it was noticably WARPED. i had to really do some tricking to match everything up. later when i was assembling it i had major bending to fit the soft top and doors. next i bought a hard topand it was 3 inches too high at the right side of the windsheild when the rest was flush where it belonged ! ( i put eye hooks through the top and turnbuckles inside to pull it down into place ) next the edges of the tub starte cracking and opening up voids where the glass failed to fill to the gel coat ! i had to inject resin whith a large syringe and repaint MANY times. seems this company used 2nds or 3rds sold at the same price for good tubs...bottom line go with quadra trac or another reputable company for your tub. !!!

Back