Help!

Amnadala01

Help, I got caught in the rain without my top on and now my horn is going bonkers. Rained on at 10pm, Horn started at 5am(my neighbors love me). I disconected the battery and didn't know if I should tow it to a mechanic or wait until it's dry and see if it is ok. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!!!
Amanda
1998 Wrangler

You don't need to tow it. Just pull the fuse out for the horn and reconnect your battery. You probably got water in your steering wheel at the horn button causing it to go off. You might be able to pop off the horn button and dry it out to see if that helps.

Try this:

1. Unplug just the horn itself.

2. Re-install the battery cable

3. If you feel comforatble doing so, pull the horn button from the steering wheel center, and check for moisture, if it looks wet and you don't have access to shop air, use a can of compressed air you can buy at Office Depot and blow it in there to dry the moisture.

4. Wait 24 hrs and try plugging the horn in again.

Stupid question but I'm not mechanically inclined. How do I unplug the horn. My neighbor woke me up last night-(that's nice that I don't even wake up when my car is the one making the noise!) She started pulling fuses but it was dark and we were almost deaf after 10 minutes so we just pulled the battery. Now I have to figure out what she pulled and try to get the horn fuse. Funny I can fix a person(in med school) but not a freakin horn!
Thanks for all help!
Girl with no mechanical skills
Amanda

I wouldnt worry about unplugging the horn. I would just pull the fuse till it drys out. Not even sure how would cause its not like the older ones when u can pop the center cover off since it has the airbag. The fuses should be labeled where it is no problem pulling the fuse.

The aren't any fuses labeled for the horn on the fuse box or the manual. I swear. My friend thought I missed it but she looked too. Any suggestions? What could have happened. I thought Jeeps were made to get wet?!

It is located under the hood in the power dist. center. It is one of the small 20 amp fuses . It list it as # 20 in the owners manual but mine arent labeled under the hood so u will just have to pull till u find it if yours are like mine. They are only 4 small fuses so it shouldnt take long.

Please be careful when messing with your airbag equipped steering wheel! Especially if you are prying with a sharp object like a screw driver.

Welcome to the board! Don't run off now that you have your horn fixed may need some med! problems fixed now! hehehehe tug

I won't run off! I'm sure I'll have more strange occurences! I didn't unplug the horn from the steering wheel, just the fuse. I'm not interested in getting blasted by my airbag.:) Thanks for the advice!

Amnadala01 said:
I won't run off! I'm sure I'll have more strange occurences! I didn't unplug the horn from the steering wheel, just the fuse. I'm not interested in getting blasted by my airbag.:) Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the board by the way!

Airbags hurt. :( :?

I was going to ask if it was a YJ or a TJ....if no airbag I'd suggest a blast of WD-40 on the horn button. It dissipates water and restores electrical functions....used it many a time on the distributor cap on the old Toyota after deep water crossings. I would hesitate doing anything at all with a loaded airbag, though. I've got a video here somewhere from when I was a paramedic of a couple of firefighters being thrown 20 feet by an airbag while using the jaws of life to free an accident victim.....not pretty!

1. Unplug just the horn itself.

Sorry about that post, I should have been more clear.

I was not suggesting pulling anything loose from inside the steering wheel.

I meant to find the actual horn under the hood or behind the grille area and unplug the connector if you could

Well, I unplugged the horn fuse which is also connected with my anti lock brakes and smashed into someone. Figures. Nobody injured but it's just my luck. And the guy I hit is an insurance agent. yuck. I didn't mess with the stearing wheel though. I know a paramedic that was killed by one b/c he reached into a car to turn it off and the airbag went off and broke his neck. Sorry no more medical horror stories about airbags.:) Atleast my horn doesn't go off anymore. HAHA I just have to laugh about it. I live by Murphy's law. Anyways, thanks for everyones suggestions.

Put the fuse back in and disconnect the horn! Rembemer the rule of KISS "keep it simple stupid". It is ez to find the horn under the hood just unhook the wires. tug

Dosent make sense to me I cant see them making a jeep where a blown horn fuse can cause u to get in to a wreck. Just my opinion.

Oh man, that's crazy. If I were you I would ask an attorny or someone about that cause that does not seem right at all. I could see like the airbags and horn being on the same fuse, or something like that, but not the anti lock brakes as well. Hope everything goes alright with this.

Back