Head lights

jeep321

1993 bare bones stock YJ. I put in some higher wattage headlights and when I put the fog lights on, they all started blinking. The relay I presume. So do I have to upgrade my wiring or what. Thanks! :shock:

i had the same problem on my 90 yj. i installed four fog lights across the front bumper & tried to tie them into my headlights. when turn them on the blinked like turn signals. a man told me it might hace something to do with a relay for the headlights. i just wired all four into thier own swith.

You should be sure the wiring could handle the higher amperage from the higher wattage lights. This goes for the relay and switch as well.
FYI higher wattage lights are not allowed on all states roadways.

You should be sure the wiring could handle the higher amperage from the higher wattage lights. This goes for the relay and switch as well.
FYI higher wattage lights are not allowed on all states roadways.

These are DOT approved lights from NAPA that use a 9003 bulb, so I thought I could use them with no problem. I guess the stock YJ electrictal system is just not good enough for the newer bulbs. thanks

when I had head lights I ran higher wattage that stock lights for years with out problems. I would look at your wiring, you may have a poor ground, and/or your fog lights may not be wired properly. the stock relay for the head lights is a 30 amp, I highly doubt the lights will exceed that.

Check that the connector behind the lamp is not fried; mine have gone out twice on me. You can buy them cheap at any autoparts store, though...

when I had head lights I ran higher wattage that stock lights for years with out problems. I would look at your wiring, you may have a poor ground, and/or your fog lights may not be wired properly. the stock relay for the head lights is a 30 amp, I highly doubt the lights will exceed that.

The wiring is all stock original as far as I can tell. But I will look at the wiring closely and the grounds. Thanks!

Check that the connector behind the lamp is not fried; mine have gone out twice on me. You can buy them cheap at any autoparts store, though...

I have seen those fried connectors on other vehicles. I was considering the high temp (ceramic) ones from NAPA or on ebay. thanks!

Do the wiring upgrade. The blinking isn't a relay. It's the circuit overload protection inside the headlight switch going off and on.

you should always install a relay to power aux lighting.. stock wiring is not meant for aux high wattage lamps.. and you'll get better light from a direct source using the relay to switch it..

Do the wiring upgrade. The blinking isn't a relay. It's the circuit overload protection inside the headlight switch going off and on.
You were right, I replaced the switch, and it is good so far. Thanks!:eek:

Back