Gear Question

TJExtreme

I am planning on upgrading my rack and pinion on my dana 30 and dana 35. I am planning on changing it over to 4.56. Is this everything I need for the Dana 30 and Dana 35? 2002 Wrangler X 4.0L I was unable to post the link to the gears.

Dana 30 & Dana 35
Superior Axle & Gear Ring and Pinions 4.56 (From Quadratec)

Dana 30 & Dana 35 Installation kit
Superior Axle & Gear Ring & Pinion Overhaul Kit (From Quadratec)

To do a complete overhaul you need the ring gear, the pinion gear and pinion bearings and seal, carrier bearings and probably a few shims. I don't know if your replacing the axle's too or not but anyway you got to pull them out to change the ring and pinion gears so you might as well change the inner seals next to the carrier bearing's.

I would recommend talking to a gear mechanic first. They may want to supply the gears. The gears need to be set up correctly - not something you can do without some experience. Also, some would say the Dana 35 is not worth putting money into. Depends on your use of the Jeep but it is NOT the strongest rear. Do a search on this site and read up on the merits of other axles before commiting to gears for a 35. Lots of good info can be found here on the subject. Best of luck - John

I would love to have Dana44s. But, I am deployed to Germany. So getting American parts is very expensive. That is the reason I was planning on updating my current differentials. I was also planning on updgrading the rear axles and ordering a Ox Locker for the rear.

I wouldn't recommend locking the D35. Anything over a 31 or 32 with a locker will be pushing it to it's limits. I went thru 4 sets of shafts (3 alloy and 1 stock) before I swapped axles. If you leave it open you can run 33s if you are careful.

a stock D35 axle on 33's with a locker will break; to at least las a bit longer, I recommend alloy axles for the D35 (so far, mine have held up to 33's and ARB locker, but I dont do rocks, just mud).

Leroy,

If your '02 X came with 3.07 gears then you need to take note that the ring and pinion ratio ranges supported by the front D30 carriers are 2.72-3.54 and 3.73-5.38. For the rear D35c the ranges supported by the carriers are 2.73-3.31 and 3.55-4.56. This means that if you want to go from 3.07 to 4.56 gears you will also need new carriers for both axles.

If you're putting money into the D35c then seriously think about the Superior Super 35 kit. The tiny diameter, 27 spline stock axles are not going to handle larger tires and a locker for very long. Superior also sells an axle truss to strengthen the weak housing, as well.

Bottom line is that there is truth to the saying, "you can polish a turd but it's still a turd." Most people with D35 experience will tell you it's just not worth the money invested trying to build a bomb proof D35. I think you'd be way better off in the long run by finding a reputable vendor that's willing to work with your situation and help get the right parts to you. Take a look at something like Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Axles & Gears, Custom Axles and either give David a call or drop him an e-mail and he will fix you up.

So I should got with a Superior Super 35 kit and forget the gears. Does it not require 3.55 or numerically higher? I don't know what gears I have in my jeep. I think I might go with this kit if it is compatible and save up for dana 44 swap next year some time :(
The problem with ordering a Dana 44 here is the shipping has to go through the usps military shipping. They are too heavy. If I was to purchase one here it would cost me a fortune. Euro to dollar conversion is horrible. I would be looking at $4000 euros. I will also be paying a mechanic here for install. They charge an average of $50-75 euros an hour :(

Does a Detroit locker stay locked all the time? I drive alot on the highway as well. Lets just say I fly down the autobond. lol

Last edited:
The Detroit is a bullet-proof and fully automatic locker that uses heavy springs and geared teeth to allow the outside wheel to spin faster when turning. When you're on the gas it locks up and acts like a spool. When you let off the gas it unlocks. This can be kind of jerky and really felt in a short wheelbase Jeep on the asphalt.

If you order the Super 35 Axle kit get the ARB locker. You will be much happier with the on-road performance, especially in a short wheel based Jeep. Definitely worth the extra money.

I believe your rig came with 3.07 gears in stock form. While a rear locker isn't going to increase your low end crawling power, you will have better traction and unlocked, you will still be able to tool down the Autobahn at decent high speeds without toping out the tach.

See if you get more opinions here but I think this sounds reasonable to me for now, considering your situation.

Just my .02- I wouldn't spend the money on upgrading a 30/35 combo. By the time you figure parts and labor for gears, carriers, shafts etc. you'll be in the neighborhood of axle swap money. Currie, Dynatrac, Teraflex etc. sell bolt in complete axle assemblies for about $3500 complete brake to brake.

Just my .02- I wouldn't spend the money on upgrading a 30/35 combo. By the time you figure parts and labor for gears, carriers, shafts etc. you'll be in the neighborhood of axle swap money. Currie, Dynatrac, Teraflex etc. sell bolt in complete axle assemblies for about $3500 complete brake to brake.

True enough but read Leroy's posts and you'll see it's absolutely cost prohibitive for him to have a complete axle upgrade shipped to where he's stationed in Germany.

I think he may be able to live without new gearing for awhile with the added traction a locker will afford and the upgraded axle shafts will handle the punishment without snapping.

I agree with this, but not whole; new axles are $3500 EACH, and a super D30/D35 WITH lockers AND gears (granted, both will come in the new axle) will net you about $2500 for BOTH. Still, for $2500 you can probably do a Waggy D44 front and Rodeo D44 rear and have REAL D44 (not Rubi D44's, which are about as strong as the D30 because of the tubes), plus, you would get the rear disc brakes and 5X5.5 pattern.

True enough but read Leroy's posts and you'll see it's absolutely cost prohibitive for him to have a complete axle upgrade shipped to where he's stationed in Germany.

Granted, calling Dynatrac to get them to ship to Germany would cost the moon.

If he's looking for an upgrade that a shop can do with minimum fuss, super 30/35 kits are an ok option. Plus you get a warranty on parts and install. But, for the more adventurous there are a plethora of junkyard D44s available- Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport, Ford Transit 8.8/9"s. Plus parts can be sourced locally.

Maybe I'm just still stingin' from blowing up my 35, replacing it with a c-clip 44, and then replacing that with a high pinion 9".
Wish I'd just cowboyed up for a trail series 60 from Dynatrac......:cry:

I agree with everything darkslinger and jfrabat are saying here, just also realize the situation Leroy is in being in Germany. When my brother-in-law was stationed at Landstuhl he had an absolute nightmare just getting the transmission overhauled on his Dodge minivan, forget finding parts for the Buick Riviera he had shipped over. If, and that's a big IF, Leroy can find some donor vehicles in the local junkyards then that could be the least expensive way to go in the longrun.

I believe your rig came with 3.07 gears in stock form. While a rear locker isn't going to increase your low end crawling power, you will have better traction and unlocked, you will still be able to tool down the Autobahn at decent high speeds without toping out the tach.

See if you get more opinions here but I think this sounds reasonable to me for now, considering your situation.

The Superior 35 kit requires 3.55 and higher. So can it still be installed?

I installed a super 35 with 4.88's... (or did you mean numerically higher?)

I think he's concerned that if his stock X came with 3.07's will the Super 35 work. I just can't find where he found the 3.55 or numerically higher requirement.

Back