Gas Mileage???

progusky

I finally got my first Jeep. A 2000 Sahara(automatic). Pardon the stupid question, but what kind of mileage can I expect? I took her on a road trip a couple weekends ago and got just over 300 miles on 16 gallons of gas. Then this week, I've been driving back and forth to work and was at 75 miles with 1/4 of a tank left. Should I expect such a swing in mileage? I just took her to the local Jeep dealership to have all the fluids changed and to have her looked over. The service guy just said that's a Jeep, but it doesn't seem right to me.

when you are driving back and forth, you are stopping, using several gears at differnent ranges of rpms.. and in all that time, you will be using much more gas than you would if you were drivin a long distance in overdrive at a maintained speed, using a constant amount of gas... it is very common to have a large difference between the two styles of driving

I realize that there will be a difference, but that much. I went from over 300 miles on a tank to maybe 100. Surely I can't expect the mileage to drop to a third of the highway mileage when I'm driving around town. Is this what you all get for gas mileage?

i have a 97 4.0 auto and i avg. about 240 miles per tank but that is a mix of both stoping alot and some interstate driving

100 miles on a tank is not good. My 95 yj is a gas hog, I get about 190-210 on average per tank. The most I have ever gotten is 287. Something is strange.

HAHAHAHAHHA... buffalo is 70 miles from here... i go through about 3/4 tank each way... can you say tune-up?

Figure out your actual mileage. I have never had a fuel gage on the 25 vehicles I have owned that was consistant. It either goes down faster at the top, middle or bottom. If you figure out your mileage it could change 2-4 mpg but should not change a lot unless you go 4-wheeling and use low range.

I just found my notes from the fill-ups. 16.3 gallons(308 miles), 90%hwy, 10%city driving. 12.1 gallons(75 miles), 100% city. There's no way this is normal, something has to be wrong.

Is it cold were you are? If you warm up your Jeep for a while It could change that much. I do mostly highway driving in my blazer and I go from 16 to 13 in the winter just cause I am to lazy to scrape the window's and freeze for a few minutes. Also if you are an aggressive driver you could change that much. A heavy pedal from start up will waste a lot of gas. The best I get in my CJ is 13.5, but you should get better than that. I think there are a few sencers that could cause that but I am not familiar with them. If it were me I would drive it for a few weeks and see if it gets better. It could have very well been a fluke.

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in Ft. Laudedale. By the way, what is winter? LOL!!

i think it IS my o2 sensor.... when i get my "just will not start up" fits... i get "flooded" like symptoms

starter question

You could have had a bad tank of gas. There is this one Citgo on the way home from work that I always get noticeably worse gas mileage from. The Citgo 3 miles down the road is fine. Its weird.

I need to find a transmission skidplate?????

filled up yesterday- 208 on the clock and i was able to squeeze 19.255 gallons into the tank on fillup- somes out to 10.xx mpg which is really shotty cuz it was 90% highway and 10% city..... i know that there is something wrong- i used to get 240-260 on the clock between tanks, and a fillup would be roughly 15-17 gallons..... then i did the motorcraft 2100 swap (1.08 size, 400cfm).... ever since its been junk, but it doesnt stall like the carter did. I think its running rich but i dont have a stoichiometer to check it the right way. any suggestions?

Back