Extreme Suspension Lifts, TJ opinions and testimony needed please!!!

which 6" long arm kit is all around better for rock crawling and street driving

• Nth Degree Mobility's (TJ6) 6th Degree TJ Lift 6" Long Arm-Gyro Joint

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Fabtech's 6" High Crawler Kit

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Teraflex LCG Max Sysytem

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Rubicon Express RE72X5 5.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm TJ

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gone&DoneIt

Hello all,
I did a search and found a ton of information about the appropriate height of lifts and type for certain applications, but I find myself in an odd spot,... and no doubt the same spot most of you who have raised your Jeep signifigantly have found yourselves. I have come to understand how wonderful boards like this are for feedback on issues. So,... having said all that...

I own a 03 TJ Rubicon Tomb Raider Edition. I am easing into rock crawling here in Las Vegas. I have decided on a minimum of a 6" long arm suspension kit and 35's. What is killing me is deciding which one to go with. I have been considering Nth Degree's kit (really expensive though) Fabtech's long arm kit (am probably upgrading the rock crawler skid, 3 link and coil overs later) the Teraflex LCG Max kit, and the Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm kit. I need feedback from anyone having these kits on things intrensic to these kits. Things to watch out for,...unforeseen added expense beyond the various kits,... things like this.

I really do appreciate any feedback and help you can offer. I am really only working with a budget of around $2500 for the kit and any additional expenses to get it up and running, and am planning to install it myself to save $, so I have to get it right the first time around.

Thanks Everyone,...

Jack

Well Jack I would have to vote for the Tera-flex kit since it tri-links both front and rear giving you more articulation than any other kit out there.
With the added bonus of getting rid of both track bars your RTI scores will be off the charts.

The built in anti-squat feature of the LCG (Low Center of Gravity) kit keeps your jeep from pitching back wards when accelerating and on those rock walls.

I have there long arm kit on my 2001 and thats all I do (rock crawling) with no problems doing Moabs rock walls and trails.

I love the looks of the 9th degree kit but I have heard that there track bar leaves some wanting a different one.
The Fabe-tec kit is good and wasn't a problem to install (a friends 2000 TJ/ see my web page for Troys 2000 TJ).
Personally I don't like having my upper control arms mounted to my lowers only.
You can always drive out on three of the control arms if you mangle one on the LCG kit.
I have no personal experience with R.E.'s kit but I have there track bar on my jeep and will have it there till I upgrade my front to a LCG tri-link.

I hope this helps...

Yes it helps a lot, and thank you. I agree I think the Nth Degree looks amazing, and their Gyro joints are an intruiging solution. I have yet to talk to anyone that has this kit on a TJ though, and so am very cautious about going too far down that road.

I do appreciate all the great feedback. I think the Teraflex kit will allow more room for additions down the road. The full LCG Max kit is almost $1000.00 more than I had budgeted for the lift (to go that high for the lift means I have to forgo the Road Armor bumper and winch for a couple of months). Also, I am a little nervous about trying to install the LCG Max kit myself. Don't get me wrong, I rebuilt engines to put myself through school,... and the guys in Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers offered to lend a hand,... but it seems like a lot to bite off in my garage. Did you put your Teraflex kit on yourself? How bad was it? Also, do you have any problems rubbing when fully articulated? What size tires are you running, and wheel backspacing? I read the LCG kit will accomodate 37x13.50's under full articulation. That's pretty impressive.

As for the Fabtech kit, I have similar concerns. Also, I don't think that Fabtech kit will allow for a "staged" build up. Perhaps I am wrong though.

The pics of your trip to Moab look great, and that is exactly what I am trying to build. Being in Vegas we have lot's of areas to wheel in that are pretty incredable. This summer me and a couple of fellow Jeepers are hitting the Rubicon for a little R&R and to cool off a bit, and my hopes are by October, I can be beating some rocks on the Poison Spider trail.

I was also just turned onto the 6" Full Traction long arm kit. I am reading a lot of good things about this kit as well. Any opinions or personal experience with this kit?

Thanks, I have been digging around and the Full Traction kit seems really solid. There are no shops in Vegas that sell them though. :x I have to drive to Phoenix (not a major deal but a slight pain in the butt). Looks like the best price I have found on the 6" long arm kit for a standard Rubi is $2495.00 with shocks, $429.00 for the Full Traction CV Shaft, and $318.00 for their exhaust kit. The guy at Desert Rat said he would drop it to $3k plus tax. Does anyone know an online shop that sells these components and offers free shipping? I have looked and don't seem to see any. If I can find it online I can save the $280.00 in tax and gas that I will have to pay for picking it up.

Thanks again all for your opinions and help,

Jack

I'm in agreement with UJ on not liking radius arms, but that can and has been beaten to death so I won't go there.

I like what I have seen from Full Traction. Very solid stuff.

Thanks all, I got my kit ordered today. In the end I got a slightly better deal on the Teraflex kit, so in a weeks time I will be elbow deep in lift kit. Thanks again to all who were kind enough to voice opinions and testimonies.

Jack

Gone&DoneIt said:
Thanks all, I got my kit ordered today. In the end I got a slightly better deal on the Teraflex kit, so in a weeks time I will be elbow deep in lift kit. Thanks again to all who were kind enough to voice opinions and testimonies.

Jack

I don't think you will be disappointed. Take pics of the install and finished product. We'd love to follow along...

Gone&DoneIt said:
Did you put your Teraflex kit on yourself? How bad was it? Also, do you have any problems rubbing when fully articulated? What size tires are you running, and wheel backspacing? I read the LCG kit will accomodate 37x13.50's under full articulation. That's pretty impressive.

Yes Gone I installed the kit myself.
Bad...first off it, since she was a new jeep, and just the thought of taking a 3 inch grinder to the rear axle was enough to scare me and make me worry.
First off take your time and read the instructions...then have a nice dinner and re-read those instructions..I read mine 7 times then sent copies over to my off-roading buddies who where scheduled to help so they could read them.
Best move I ever made...everyone who stood around and those that helped knew what to do and what to do in successive order.

As to what tires and backspacing...I am running 35's with factory spaced rims...not sure of the back spacing here. As a strict rock crawler I maintain the rule of minimal lift. Since excessive lift will leave you on your side. I am sitting on 4.5 coils only, with stacked bump stops to limit my upward travel only.
I have over 16 inches of downward travel.

I am not sure what kit you ordered and what comes in there current kits, max,supreme, or pro, so make sure you have those extra pieces you might need. Longer brake lines, longer 'E' brake cable, and stuff.
But as the rules goes...you will need something during the build...good luck and keep us informed...and take lots of pictures!

Utah_jeepster said:
As a strict rock crawler I maintain the rule of minimal lift. Since excessive lift will leave you on your side. I am sitting on 4.5 coils only, with stacked bump stops to limit my upward travel only.
I have over 16 inches of downward travel

Oh so true... I'm sprung over on stock springs and run 38's, guess who took away the fenders and sheetmetal on the rear wheel wells? ME! I have almost debated to going back to a sprung under set up to get even lower and just dovetail the rear and screw with the hood to get the tires to clear. Low is where its at. I will tell you that I managed to stuff one of my 38's PAST my hood though (by about two inches), that was quite an accomplishment!

Last edited:

Re: What do you use for search in the Internet?

Xrenushki said:
Google.com forever!

Haha, I'll have some of whatever this guy's smokin!!

Thanks Utah and Corrupt for your advice. I will certainly take a ton of photos. I am quite nervous and am trying to rally all the help I can get in Vegas to come over and assist (i.e. drink my beer and yell loudly before I do something stupid). So far no one has had the time, so I havent begun the install. I am trying to get it ready for a Rubicon run in July, and a Moab run in August, but at this rate I may not be crawling till Christmas!!!

Again though fellas, I truly appreciate the kind words and advice. I am going 35x12.5x16 under the kit, and am skipping the body lift. No need for the 37's with the crawling we do in our club.

The kit is on, sort of. I had destroyed the stock belly pan wheeling, so I couldn't cut and use it. I ended up taking it in to Maximum for them to do the install since the pan and transmission mount were pretty much going to have to be grinded and cut off. I just didn't feel confident going that far. So we ended up making a hybrid kit. A 6" long arm kit using all Teraflex components, which will allow me to continue to build up as I go, while making a very capable rock crawler now. I took a ton of before shots, and I will be posting them and the after shots tomorrow when I pick it up. I've run into the classic green wall. Cash. I had to drop $400.00 for the belly pan, and that was supposed to be allocated for the rear drive shaft and conversion. Is there ANY way, I am going to be able to drive this thing with the stock drive shaft in place? I got broadsided in my car two weeks ago, and rather than paying for a rental I was planning on driving the jeep. It has a 6" lift and the belly pan,... What are your thoughts all?

Which of the two Road Armor bumpers are you thinking about putting on your jeep? ... I have only seen the bigger stick out one, and it seams to be a bit more fore looks then functanality... might wana check one out in person.. pluss you almost have to sell a kidny to get one.

The Sahara model. You're right, they aren't cheap, 739.00 here locally, but I like the look, and steering box protector/ skid plate. Unfortunately no one around here has one on their jeep so I cant get a god feel for construction and solidarity.I don't mind paying for something that looks good and performs, but do not want looks in leui of functionality. Did you get the feel when checking it out it will be a hinderance when crawling?

Last edited:
Back