EVAP codes/chek engine lite 01 XJ

volaredon

I've had this vehicle 4+ years; former county animal control, Forest Preserve, etc. municipal vehicle; got it with 94K miles, now with 161K on it; wife's daily driver; Been pretty reliable since we've had it; never stranded by it, away from my own driveway; (and that one-and-only time, the coil pack died) A couple sets of plugs, a couple sets of brakes, a waterpump, couple sets of tires, all new hoses, and other assorted preventive maint. since I've had it;

The Check Engine lite has been on, most of the time I have had it; the only codes that ever show up, are pertaining to an EVAP leak; that does not effect driveability in the least; you know the "bad gas cap" codes; sometimes it shows "large leak" other times "med leak" small leak" and "very small leak" codes have been there when I've scanned it; often all together; but it runs well, and I don't have emissions testing here; I'm not worried about a few fumes escaping; I've replaced the gas cap, swapped them with my 97 TJ, looked for cracked hoses/fittings pertaining to the charcoal canister (found none; have checked multiple times) I finally "fixed" it with black tape over the "check engine" lite; been running it that way now for 40K + miles. Is this thing just "overly sensitive" or something? Even though I got it "used" it had the original window sticker in its glovebox when I got it; which shows this particular Jeep as a "lower emission" model; I gotta laugh when I see the Toyota and Honda commercials that claim the same thing about certain versions of their cars; yet other versions of the same model car don't;

Once I get the last of the bugs out of my Wrangler (I have a thread on that one too; see "long crank times") where I can again trust the wife to take that to work, I am going to be giving this one a "good going over" and that's one of the issues I wanna tackle while it's down; along with the rear hatch latch, replacing the front 4 link bushings with the poly ones I have here, (this thing has no lift, beyond "stock") it has had what I can only describe as the "start of 'death wobble'" between 50-55, and has had, the whole 60-some K miles we've had it; ONLY in that MPH range; seems to be getting a bit more intense in that range but still goes away above or below that same speed range. I know every vehicle has its "quirks" and these are some that I've been "living with" on this one.

Back to the orig reason for this post; any ideas on the EVAP thing, beyond removing the black tape and removing the bulb instead?

Last edited:
I have replaced the gas cap and swapped with one from my other Jeep and no change. and I've inspected, inspected and inspected the evap system some more; nothing found--yet.

Check the lines from the canister located in front of the rear axle under the vehicle. Make sure the lines are not cracked or dy rotted.

I see this code ALOT. Quit topping your gas tank off once the nozzle clicks hang it up, resist the urge to top it off, this Top off generally finds its way through the vaccum lines and into the canister in liquid form. IT can cause the purge valve and vent solenoid to become stuck in certain positions. You might never have a leak to begin with, just liquid fuel causing sensors to read wrong. There is a pressure sensor in the system and based on the pressure reading it takes will decide if you have a very small, small, large, very large leak.

Back