engin bogs down when given throddle

bill3

I have a 1968 427 in my j10 and I started it up yesterday and it ideals fine. But when you go to goose it it bogs down. Like its starving for gas. I thought it might have been the fuel filters. So I changed them and that didn't help. I haven't got a chance to check the timing or to see if I have a vacum leak. If you bring the rpms up slow it does fine. But if you goose it. It bogs real bad bad and sounds like crap :???: I'm going flush the tank this weekend, check the timing and vacum leaks. Any other sugestions?
Thanks

Check the carburator as well for debris in the bowl. Make sure the needles are clean and straight and the float is adjusted properly. Another cause for those old school engines are the advance mechanism weights on the distributor and the springs. Sometimes they bind from the junk that accumulates inside the bottom of the distributor.

Thanks I'll check. I'm thinking of ging to an eletronic distributer and getting away from the points.

Aperantly it has a conversion kit in the distributor. It don't have points and it doesn't have a vacum canester either. I'm not sure how it works. It's looking like I'm going to be buying a new distributor sooner than I thought. Cause I don't trust what ever it is.

Nooooo, you should already have an electronic distributor on that , no points. That distributor is dependent on an electronic ignition module and works on a hall effect sensor. If you convert it to an HEI, you will be able to eliminate that module and some wires hanging around in the compartment.

Oh I'm not putting points back in. I am hopfully getting one for chrismas. Me and dad timed it and it runs so much better. Still not just right but way better. And they had the carb so out of wack I don't see how it was running. The pooor thing was starven for gas.

Back