drill bit

phbsoler

where can i go to find a drill bit so that i can drill out the venturi tube to 0.032".i have already been to ace hardware, nothing...any suggestions????[addsig]

if there is a machine shop sum where around where u live take it to them and they will drill it to 0.032".i have never known anyone to own a drill bit that small.my friends dad is a machinest and at his house he dosent even have a 0.032" drill bit so your best bet would be to take the venturi cluster to a machine shoop and get them to drill it for u.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You can go to your local Sears, they have a "Tiny bit set, with a handle that acts as the hand drill. (that size bit is too small to hold and turn) It's usually in the area with the machinists tools or the puller section. It is not a Craftsman tool. Cost is about $7.oo ? for the set. Note: Don't dtop it, you will never find it again.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

yeah i checked grainger's website and they don't list anything that small anyway...[addsig]

try welding shops they have small drill bits used as cutting torch tip cleaners also great for releiving the pressure on smashed finger and toe nails[addsig]

The closest bit size you'll find is 1/32 (0.03125). The bit size you seek is not a standard, inch or metric. Unless you're working on the Space Shuttle, or something that requires such a tight tolerence, the cost of having one made wouldn't be justified.

Hold the bit in a Pin Vise and 'spin' it between your thumb and index finger. Pin Vises can be found in machine shop or automotive shop supply catalogs, I've seen them on a Snap-On tool truck before.

Hope this helps.[addsig]

phbsoler:

Don't loose too much sleep looking for that bit,

Sears was where I found mine. (In the set with the pin vice)

As for drilling out the venturies. I have done that upgrade and for me found no benefit. That's not saying it wont on yours. My carb was in good shape, even though it's an 89. But I'm always looking for the extra boost too.

In California, we have a "Industrial Hardware" store called "McFadden Dale Hardware".

They stock it or even try a Hobby shop. (They might use them on model cars?)

Here's a little information.

The bit is standard. Just not always stocked and really small!

It is .8128 mm or .032 inches or commonly known as a #67 drill dit.

For reference look here:

http://www.wwforum.com/faqs_articles/DrillChart.html

http://www.mytoolstore.com/irwin/numbers.html[addsig]

image-missing.png
Man, is my face red! I got to thinking about it at work last night and looked up at the drill chart and ......... TA DAAA #67 Wire size. Like a fastball between the eyes!
image-missing.png
I stand corrected MORGSTER. (I gotta get offa this graveyard shift.)[addsig]

Did you hear the one about the world's fair 1945? The Germans made a drill so small ,you had to use a microscope to see it . When it went through the country of Japan, the Japanese drilled IT full of holes. HAHAHAHAHA . No , just a little machinist humor. Anyone who sells Cle-line or Cleveland drills can get you an index with small drills and a pin-vise. I have a couple and the drills go down to .011 thousanths. about like a sewing needle. A human hair is .003 thousandths. Turn it by hand ,though. Since the tubes are brass ,it will try to grab if you use an electric drill or Dremel. And it isn't easy to get a broken drill that size out of anything. Especially brass.

Hope this helps,

Jackal
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png