disc brake convert

huntnducks

i have 4 wheel drum brakes and i am wanting to just bolt on a newer dana 30 with disc brakes. is it pretty much that easy.
has anybody done this that can help with some heads up things to look for or look out for

i guess you guys need to know that its a 76 cj5 straight 6
i mostly drive around town, a little on the freeway and for hunting.
i want safe and reliable

As long as the axle width is the same, and the brake lines line up well, fluid gettin' to the caliper, I can't see as where there'd be a problem. My limited knowledge tells me that the CJ5 may be a bit narrower than a "newer" D30. Also (I'm an old bastid...........used to drums all around), does all the disc break mounting stuff come on the "newer" axle??? If it does, then I can't see a problem. The wiser ones will chime in and correct me (PLEASE!!!!!!!).

Good luck!

i beleive its a narrow trac dana 30 it has the stock disc's , callipers, etc. hooking the brake lines up and the existing master cylinder are also issues i dont know about,

i beleive its a narrow trac dana 30 it has the stock disc's , callipers, etc. hooking the brake lines up and the existing master cylinder are also issues i dont know about,

Uninformed opinion here, but I'm thinkin' if the lines hook up without issues, then pressure is pressure!!! Should work fine!.........but when your front brakes lock up and throw you and yours into the nearest tree :shock: ...please don't blame me!!:???: I'm just trying to think logically...........like I said before, hopefully those more knowledgeable will chime in (those "been there, done that" folks!!!!!).

If the new D30 will be your front axle, the brake calipers should, directionally, be on the rear of the rotors (on the side closest to the firewall). For rear disc brakes the caliper should, directionally, be on the front of the rotor (on the side closest to the seats). You may have to move some hard brake lines around a little bit, but that should be a minor inconvenience (just don't break/pinch/collapse them). You might also need a coupler nut of sorts to connect the threads, that will depend on the current setup and the D30 setup. Be sure to bleed the brake lines well, and you should be good to go. Oh, remember to connect the axle to your suspension :p

While you're updating your axles and braking system, you might want to consider upgrading to a YJ brake master cylinder / brake booster setup. Do a Google search for "CJ brake upgrade", you'll find what you need as well as how-to guides.

I would use a MC and prop. valve from a similar year jeep with a disc/drum setup or with whichever setup you're going to use.

Or you can run the front lines straight from the MC, and use an adjustable regulator on the rear brakes. Might need to use a residual pressure valve for the rear if using drums.

than you . ive been working on this all weekend.. disc brakes in the front,, and installing power steering. im almost done

thanks for the advice about the m/c.i bled the brakes tonight, the pedal feels great but i havent driven it yet.. thanks again guys

Back