Dana 44's - where can i get them??

89blackYJ

hey guys i was wondering how much it would cost to replace my present axles with d44's. i was also wondering if there were any vehicles that i could transplant them from? any info would be a BIG help. thanks

Could order them direct from dana.But that would be really expensive.I think SOME wagoneers had dana 44's front and rear.I am sure someone will get in here and give you the info you need.Hope you get helped. :wink: Sully

04 Wrangler X

alright ........ the full size cherokees have D44s front and rear, or a D44 front and HD AMC 20......i would try looking locally cause you may run into shipping expense........also make sure the diffs are setup in the right place....like my CJ has a pass drop diff......not sure on a YJ...make sure before you buy something.....also dont pay to much......i bought mine off a friend for 200 for the set of D44s......so look around and get a good deal.....there is prolly someone thats just waiting to unload....hope this helps for now

FIC

Smart money for a 3" XJ rear lift

The YJ is a drivers side drop. The front from an 80+ Grand Wagoneer would work with some new frame brackets, the rear in those is an AMC 20 with one piece shafts. The Axles from a first generation Bronco can be swapped in without messing with the frame, but they require alot of prep work, they are Ford9"/D44. Fullsize Ford stuff if you want to go heavy duty. Or you could break out a large jar of vaseline and call one of the aftermarket/custom builders and get exactly what you want.

If you just wanted to concentrate on the rear and keep the D30 front, you can use a Ford 8.8" or an XJ/MJ D44 without any major hassle.

Late 80's early '90's Wagoneers had the front D44 with driver's side drop for the YJ, 6 lug wheel pattern. The rear is either the HDAMC20 or a D44, both good options but a little narrower than the YJ rear axle.

I'm going to use the Waggy front D44 and a Scout rear D44, and use wheel spacers for more width and the 5x4.5" lug pattern.

89blackYJ said:
will i have to move the spring mount brackets over if i get a d44 from an XJ/MJ?
The spring perches will have to be moved since the XJ D44 is SOA. The MJ is SUA but the springs may be in a different location horizontally. You may also have to move the perches to get the correct pinion angle for your jeep.

89blackYJ said:
what would be an advantage of keeping 4.5" vs. going to 5.5 other than buying new wheels?
I already have 9 of these rims with 2 sets of tires, and I like the stock 5-spoke rims. Hard to beat the valve stem protection they offer.

The front D44 will be easy to switch to 5x5.5" so it'll be easier to buy 4 wheel spacers the same. The wheel spacers have the advantage of allowing me to get a wider stance without changing rims.

Bounty,
The spacers are a good idea but pricey. Another solution for the front end would be to swap the D30 hubs etc... I think they are interchangeable with the 44 from the knuckles out. The rear is another story. You may be able to have them re-drilled for the 4.5" pattern.

I guess you would have an issue of locking hubs vs the vacuum lock though. The old CJ front end parts may convert using the YJ rotor. Maybe that's too much mixing and matching.

Here's a hijack for you: Why is everyone sold on the Scout rear end? I have expressed before how weak the housings are. The shafts are fine, but have you ever tried to get replacements for them. Unless you have a scout Junkyard nearby then it is hard to buy just a shaft. Moser will make you one if you mail them one that isn't broken to reverse engineer. No one seems to have Scout axle drawings on hand anymore. It can become a huge inconvenience.

E-Maxx

redrooster said:
Bounty,
Another solution for the front end would be to swap the D30 hubs etc... I think they are interchangeable with the 44 from the knuckles out.
That works for CJ D30's, but I doubt it would work on 87+ D30's that have the sealed hub assemblies.

I plan on using a vacuum disconnect D44 from a Waggy, so no locking hub issues to deal with.

I remember you expressing your thoughts on the Scout D44 rear a while back, and I've asked all the locals I know who have run one and they have not had any issues. Truthfully it will still be plenty strong for me. I've got a light jeep with the 4banger, and the main reason for going to the D44 is I can't go lower than 4.88 with the D35, and I want to go to 5.38, the extra strength of the D44 over the D35 is just a bonus.

I've kept what you said about the Scout rear in the back of my mind, but it shouldn't be an issue for me.

Back