CJ7 Interior questions

rielly

Whats the plastic vent looking piece that mount to the bottom of the dash in my 84 cj7? It's right next to the ash tray. It's not a vent. Guessing its just there to fold a wallet or something?

Also I replaced the carpet and wondered if any one has any tricks to get it to stick on the sides of the body over the well wells? I tried velco tape... doesn't work. Looks like crap just hanging there.

Lastly are the stock glove boxes suppose to lock? My ignition key fits and turns it but it doesn't actually lock. My door cylinders were replaced and I don't have the original door key to try. Wondering if a lock smith could change the tummblers in that and also my center console to match my door cylinders?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

Take a pic of what your reffering to on that plastic piece.. I've never seen an ash tray on a CJ before so that's new to me. As for the carpet issue, you can use an adhesive spray from 3M (Upholstery adhesive), just make sure both surfaces are clean. For the Keyed glovebox latch and the door lock tumbler, you can remove it and take it to a locksmith and get it re-keyed so that the glove box and door key matches.

That is most likely the air vent you are referring to below the dash(directly below the wheel) It collects some of the air that is discharged at the vent on the left end of the plenum and directs that air toward the driver.

Last edited:
That was probably the intent southdirt but man I bet it does nothing. Couple pics attached including the classic jeep radio I just put in. Got it off ebay and its pretty nice.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

can't seem to get the pics to load... sorry

It will capture some air and help out with your mid-section chill, helps to maintain free hands at stop lights...lol

My 78 CJ7 had that plastic thing too... I believe it was just for storage. If you look up in there you'll probably see that there are no blower connections to it at all. There are probably very few of those things left surviving (I know I took mine out). My OEM carpet was held in with powerful velcro (until I took that out too:lol::lol: ). If you put enough velcro (and use brake clean on the fenders first) I would think it'll stay in place. The "rug side" of the velcro was sewn onto the rug, if I recall... CJ7's are cool... Best of luck - John

My 78 CJ7 had that plastic thing too... I believe it was just for storage. If you look up in there you'll probably see that there are no blower connections to it at all. There are probably very few of those things left surviving (I know I took mine out).

Well as I stated there is a small vent at the left end of the plenum directed toward the left side of the cab. The "Fresh Air Duct" catches some if not most of the air from that vent and directs it toward the drivers crotch. I have seven CJ's and they all have the "Fresh Air Duct". Of course I only have/want unmolested jeeps myself.

Oh and by the way this is the "Technical" forum not the "believe" section, that could/would be found elsewhere.

Back