Cj-5 or cj-7

Sean81

I was looking to purchase an older jeep having owned a tj and a Cherokee i was wanting to get a Cj which is a better choice to build a 5 or 7?

Sean81 said:
I was looking to purchase an older jeep having owned a tj and a Cherokee i was wanting to get a Cj which is a better choice to build a 5 or 7?

7 longer wheel base so when it is lifted its not so tipsy

Any particular things a guy should look for when buying? Which was a better motor the inline 6 or the 304 amc?

Thanks. I will be looking for one in reasonable shape to start a build.

I think it will all come down to what I find, if the price is right I would ultimately go with either one. Are there any particular years that had more problems then others?

Sean81 said:
I think it will all come down to what I find, if the price is right I would ultimately go with either one. Are there any particular years that had more problems then others?

No

i have the 81 cj-7 awesome rigs i love mine it origanaly had a 4cyl in it and it was still alot of fun but i spun the bearings in it was looking for a new motor then i crashed my camaro and i had just got my motor back from the engine shop and no camaro to put it in so that ended up in my jeep hence she now has a pro motor 383 500+hp in it this thing will go where i point it and wont complain if u get a cj u will love it i quaranty it

yeah john your right there i been working on cars and trucks for roughly 27 years so some things kinda come easy to me other things not so easy but i been swaping motors and stuff fo r so long its just another motor job lol

Is there anyone you know of that manufactures adaptor kits for that swap?

cj 5 or cj 7, pick what ever is appealing to you. depending on the year, they will be similarly equipt, the only difference is wheel base. on North east trails which are very tight, I prefer the shorter body for better manuverability of an early CJ5 with a slightly extended wheelbase, but it is all dictated by preference and what you intend to do with it.

If you find a 5 sit in it an make sure you're comfortable. I found the 5 to be a bit cramped for me.

Hi. Really up to you. I think there is pros and cons to both. The cj7 seems to be a lil more road worthy when running big tires/lift also more space inside specially when your 6'6". Off road I personally prefer the cj5 with narrow axles. I seem to go places 7's can't just because of the shorter wheel base. I haven't fully tested this so don't take offense to this cj7 owners. I have owned many cj7's and love them to. I added to my 73cj5 a shackle reverse,put on cj7 springs added power steering which makes it handle pretty good going down the road considering. For more leg room I cut out about 3" of sheet metal behind the front seats. Great upgrade. Couple pics below. Cj'S can be a lot of work to get the right setup no doubt about that but but there's something about those CJ'S. Good luck!

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Hi. Really up to you. I think there is pros and cons to both. The cj7 seems to be a lil more road worthy when running big tires/lift also more space inside specially when your 6'6". Off road I personally prefer the cj5 with narrow axles. I seem to go places 7's can't just because of the shorter wheel base. I haven't fully tested this so don't take offense to this cj7 owners. I have owned many cj7's and love them to. I added to my 73cj5 a shackle reverse,put on cj7 springs added power steering which makes it handle pretty good going down the road considering. For more leg room I cut out about 3" of sheet metal behind the front seats. Great upgrade. Couple pics below. Cj'S can be a lot of work to get the right setup no doubt about that but but there's something about those CJ'S. Good luck!

image-missing.png

image-missing.png
Matt, were in the same boat. I'm 6'4 and I've got a CJ-5. Next weekend was gonna cut behind my seat for more leg room. It is a little tight getting in and out but I bought the smallest Grant steering wheel I could find and it really helped. [ this kinda helped with the power steering being too sensitive also ] I'm gonna say though, I think if it's a little tougher getting in and out it might be good if you rolled it. [ with a good cage of course ] You'd be less likely to be thrown out.

7 VS 5, I asked the same question. They've both got their pros and cons like mentioned above. The 5 has worked out good for me. I couldn't pass up the deal I got and I think 5's generally seem to be cheaper in my opinon. I've heard there's benifits to be had with the short wheel base as far as traction and turning radius offroad. I hadn't planned to lift mine or go any bigger than a 31-10.50 so the extra length of a 7 wouldn't benifit me there. One draw back on a 5 is a hardtop is hard to come by but you may or may not care about that. I'm sure the 7 is more stable on the road and you've got more interior space to haul people and stuff. Good luck with whichever you choose.

I've got two Cj5's. Would i do it again, yes, the 5's are a little tight, so if your taller you may want to sit in it first. Price dictated my purchases as most 7's are either junk or untouchable. I was able to find my first 5 for $500 and my second for $400. Both were running driving, but not pretty. If i was to try and find a cj7 for $500 it would be a shell with no motor around here.

Hope that helps

Back