can these axles cut it?

kikokeki

I have a 73 cj5 w/ dana 30 ft and dana 44 rear. I have 35x12.50 on now can I go a little bigger like a 36 or do a 35x14.50 or will this be to much for these axles?

nope, I have a D44 in the rear and D30 in the front and I am running 36x14.5 Jones'. No problems at all, besides the fact the wide tires are pushing alot more wind... I never cared for gas milage though.

Depends on how you wheel. If it's a lazy romp through the forest then ya, the stock axles will handle it. If you like challenging obstacles that require some bounce and copius amounts of skinny pedal, then no. If the latter is your wheelin type, upgrade the front to a D44 and run hardened shafts all the way around, at a minimum.

I say run it. I've run 36s on several D30s. I wheel pretty hard but I stay conscious of my rigs limitations. The YJ D30 is more up to the task, but the CJ version can live just fine with some good shafts and joints. Everything has it's limits and you will quickly find the limit of a D30 if you hit it hard with ultra-low gearing or alot of power. The best part about the D30 is it's weight. If you can make it live you will have a substantial advantage over guys running heavier axles. The flip side of running lightweight components is that you have to keep the rest of the rig lightweight in order to preserve the drivetrain. This is in my area though, where traction is limited and it's mostly flat land with soft dirt hills. I imagine that a factory D30 would be very easy to "pop" if the front was wedged against a tire sized boulder and you were trying to power through in low-range, or if you were depending on that poor little axle to pull the whole weight of the Jeep up a rock ledge.

If you run it and it works, then you saved some money. If you run it and it blows chunks......well you were going to upgrade anyway. What do you lose by trying it? other than maybe some time?

Cheap Winch

At the most just pop in some strong shafts with some CTM like joints in your 30. If your not cooking out lots of power you should be fine.

If you run it and it works, then you saved some money. If you run it and it blows chunks......well you were going to upgrade anyway. What do you lose by trying it? other than maybe some time?

and... if you DO plan on upgrading... buy the axle now, get it set up... then you will have it for if/when the time comes... and if you feel secure with the 30... sell the upgrade to someone with some $$

Back