Bought my first Jeep last night '89 Sahara

M.Johndrow

I have been messing around with vehicles heavily for many years. Starting with a full resotration of a 1969 Mercury Cougar (now sold) then an '87 Toyota MR2 then a '91 Toyota MR2 I decided I wanted to move into a Jeep type vehicle. So I sold off the '87 MR2 and started a search for a decent Wrangler. That search really only lasted a week. After looking at two worn out Wranglers earlier in the week yesterday while looking at my local Craigslist a 1989 Wrangler Sahara popped up for sale. I went out to look at it. It was a little rough around the edges but did everything it was suppose to. So now I have a Jeep wrangler in my drive way I know nothing about! HAHA. It is the 4.0 Auto with full hard top and full steel doors. My friend who is big into these jeeps and who nudged me in this direction says that I got a really good deal. I paid $2500 for it. It has 156,000 miles on it. The seller seemed pretty honest and he was only selling because he just bought a 95 Wrangler. He let me take it and drive it as long as I wanted. One thing I was concerned about was I did not feel the 4WD getting traction when I tried to test it. But I did not have a good place to do it. I was just taking a tight turn in a parking lot. I took a chance on it anyway. It needs a little TLC its not perfect. But I think it is a good deal. Anyway I will get to searching the forum and see where I need to start! Matt

Welcome to JEEPZ Matt! Leave while you can, it's very addicting. To late you already bought the jeep, good luck!!

So my friend is telling me the doors and hard top could fetch up to $1000. Does that sound right?

Cool! I figured he was embelishing things a bit. Its over at my parents house now. I cant wait to go put the tags on it and bring it the rest of the way home. I really hope this works out and changes my opinion of domestic vehicles. I have not had good luck with them and have not been a fan. Maybe this will change things!

Tonite after work I got my wife to take me over to my parents house were I left it. I drove it home though I did stop at the gas station. At the light before the station I was waiting for the green and it died on me I let it coast down the hill and get level and it started back up again. After filling up I made it home with no problem. The gas guage is not working right. The needle is bouncing back and forth. So I am assuming / hoping it just ran out of gas! But it is home and tommorow I will give it a good looking over.

Tonite after work I got my wife to take me over to my parents house were I left it. I drove it home though I did stop at the gas station. At the light before the station I was waiting for the green and it died on me I let it coast down the hill and get level and it started back up again. After filling up I made it home with no problem. The gas guage is not working right. The needle is bouncing back and forth. So I am assuming / hoping it just ran out of gas! But it is home and tommorow I will give it a good looking over.

When you replace the fuel level sending unit, check the siphon tube and the pick up screen in the fuel tank and make sure there's no leak's, otherwise , the fuel pump will not be able to siphon the fuel in the bottom of the tank when the fuel drops below that tube leak.

Thanks! I will check that out! Is there a decent factory service manual out there everyone uses?

Try this number from Chrysler factory service manual hotline. I don't know if they still those available.. 1-800-890-4038..

I hope you guys dont mind a few pics!

DSCF1598-1.jpg

DSCF1599-1.jpg

Great pics! Welcome to the forum. Jeeps are addictive man. You won't be able to stop working on it and thinking of new things to upgrade.

Somebody today told me I am missing my third brake light. I did not really think much about it 'till he mentioned it. Am I missing one from my pic?

Nice Jeep and welcome to JEEPZ. Hey if that front axle isn't engaging you may want to check the vacuum line that engages it. That's is a common YJ problem. I ended up buying a 4Xposiloc for it (manual cable kit) and the problem was cured. Sold my YJ though.

Back