Biggest tire fit for a 2001 XJ Sport?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok I have a guy offering to give me a set of 31's as long as I drive out and pick them up. I have a stock 2001 XJ with probably a shot suspension since I kinda jump it and other things. I plan on atleast putting new shocks on soon, but I don't really want to lift this jeep because I have no money and I HATE the antilock brakes on this jeep. My question is will they rub? I had 31's on a stock 95 XJ and it rubbed on turns some and if i hit speedbumps fast. I didn't know if they changed the wheel well size or not. Thanks.

My '00 with stock suspension, most likely shot since I jumped it a lot, among other things as well was running 30s, and I had a rubbing problem, most noticeable down the freeway recently; with 2 passengers, every bump I hit, the tires were rubbing, if I hit a turn on a bump, they rubbed, it wasn't an issue before, but as the suspension sagged more and more, it became one...

I know there were a lot of design changes from 1997 onward, don't know if wheelwells were affected, but I would not be surprised.

i have a 99 xj and put 31's on it before my new tires. they didnt rub bad except in turns they'd rub a bit and if you go offroad, yes they will rub, but its not too horrible. expect your bumperettes to get scraped up

dingus said:
Would that be the same for my '94 as well?
Well the 96 and earlier had a little larger wheel openings...

But

I still wouldn't bother going bigger until adding some height to the suspension or cutting of sheetmetal, as I don't like to wheel with a swaybar connected.

Back