Beadlocks

MerkL

Re: Paint and more

What's the deal with beadlocks? I mean why do I see them everywhere I look? Even guys I know don't go offroad have them. Am I missing something? Are they even worth all the hype they receive?

Most of the beadlocks you're seeing are just simulated beadlocks. They are just regular wheels with the fake bolts probably.

i know l33tj33p has ''streetlocks''
imo most ppl dont really need them unless they are real hardcore rock crawlers that run 0-2 psi

I disagree!!!
No one that goes in a circle uses bead locks, They have too much air in their tires, only top fuel dragster do cause of the fact they air down to about 13 psi (depends on track temp, air temp, etc, and keeps the tire on the bead (hence the term bead lock)

First off, beadlocks are not DOT approved, that means they are illegal. The idea behind them is when you air down to a low PSI like 10 psi or less. the bead of the tire wants to fold over into the inside of the rim, which will cause a flat tire.
Instead of having the bead sit on the inside of the rim in a normal fashion, the bead is on the outside of the rim, and there is a plate that is secured over the bead with properly torqued bolts, squooshing the bead and locking it in place, so... when you air down and the tire has a nice sidewall buldge, the bead will stay secured to the rim as opposed to folding over.
I am unsure about other states but the reason for the illeagal status in massachusetts is cause they can cause very irrattic handling of the vehicle, bead lock wheels are almost impossible to balance for street use. so the vehilce has a tendency to dart side to side.

Mine are in fact "Street Locks" The look authentic but aren't. I choose them for the look. I needed some other color to break up the "Black-N-Tan" thing I am working on. Bead-Locks are NOT DOT approved and are dangerous for the everyday pavement pounder. But when you have that great "Grappler" type grip on rocks with a 350+ and you gun it to get over that rock you don't want your tire spinning off or when you hit that rock on the side wall having it pop the outside bead.

I think that Drag racers "Funny Cars" if you watch them you can see the rear tire catch traction then you see the side wall twist and stretch from the torque. this is a prime example of why beadlocks are needed.

Even on the Door slammer class where they need to be street legal and can't run beadlocks, they mark the rim and tire with a line and after one run, that tire will spin a couple of inches. It is amazing!

Hey Johnny, what kind of wheels you got on your avatar? Those are FRESH!

Actually, the only reason Beadlocks aren't DOT approved is because they are hard to balance, not because they cause irratic steering. I have beadlocks that I welded up myself and they are actually pretty well balanced (not that you can tell with the cut Boggers on there). The only street legal beadlocks are sold by the company that makes them for Hummers. They have them for the military vehicles, then a fancy high dollar aluminum series which virtually no one can afford.
Beadlocks are great, but not for the everyday driver. Sure you could run them if you don't mind a little vibration and keep away from Mr. Po-Po.
BTW... I never run my beadlocks lower than 6 psi anymore. At very low pressure, like 3 psi, the tire will stay on the bead but will roll under the wheel toward the chunk on side hills. It makes you feel like you are sliding and could damage the tire because you will essentially be sitting on the sidewall.
You should be able to run 10-12 psi safely without beadlocks.

One a side note, you can get cheap low pressure tire gauges at Wal-Mart. They have one that reads 0-15 psi, has a rubber coated gauge and a 12" hose. It works pretty good for $12. They are found near the lawnmower blades.

Getting to know your peers

First off, beadlocks are not DOT approved, that means they are illegal

Trail Ready is making DOT approved beadlocks

No one that goes in circles uses beadlocks????????????? hmm, i dont know what ya talkin bout. My best friend drives a super late model, runs beadlocks all the way around this ride. lmfao, that made me laugh hahahahaha

A healthy street car with good traction can spin the rim inside of the tire and screw up balancing and may ruin the tire bead. Most street racers and the guys in the lower classes of drag racing run rim screws if they have this problem and the rules allow it. The screws just go through the rim into the tire bead and keep it from spinning, they will also help to some extent in keeping a low pressure tire seated. If I needed beadlocks then I would run them, but the negatives outweigh the positives by too far of a margin to run them just for the look(think snorkle). I've run my TSLs down to 9psi on occasion when needed for slow-speed fourwheeling and I haven't had any problems with unseating beads.

MerkL said:
Hey Johnny, what kind of wheels you got on your avatar? Those are FRESH!
Those are my 26" dubs! They are made by a company called super bling! hehe

My real rims are just spray painted black American Racing Wheels

Back