Any 2.5L Eperts on here

ImMad@MyMopar

Hi Im new here. I bought a 96 dakota (2.5L) had a knock so bought my friend totaled cherokee & swaped the engine. It was surprisingly easy :eek: or so I thought.

1ST ran good cold but when warmed ideld rough engine light came on (advacedauto tester said- Ingition control or misfire) (Snap on tool siad- "Fuel sending unit voltage too high/low) Never heard that 1 so..:-|

Did FULL tune up- No help still acting stupid:-|

2nd did compression test & 3rd cyl was @ 90PSI others @ 150PSI so "OFF WITH ITS HEAD":(

3RD now a dodge head's on a jeeps engine in a dakota new gaskets full tune up ect. P.S-checked the timing chain seemed tight so i left it lone. I noticed the 3rd and 5th push rod is so loose i could take it out with my hand. I though "maybe it need to pump itself up" NO:x!!!

I ran till normal temp (ran like it was on life support) so i took the v-cover off and the 3rd & 5th pushrods r still loose as ever. I was told the lifters have collaped. Is this sound right & How IN THE WORLD do i get them out?:?: & what all do i need to fix it.

HELP ME I NEED MOPAR EXPERTS!!! Im just a sared little import man who is lost in Mopar Country.

Attachments

• IMAGE_659.jpg
    IMAGE_659.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 190

I'm assuming that your here in the U.S. and the 2.5 your reffering to is the 2.5 Magnum, not the 2.5 diesel in the export model.Sorry i got it backwards, do the procedure on the bottom first then the one on top.
REMOVAL

Retain all the components in the same order as removed.
  1. Remove the engine cylinder head cover .
  2. Remove the bridge and pivot assemblies and rocker arms by removing the capscrews at each bridge. Alternately loosen each capscrew, one turn at a time, to avoid damaging the bridges.
  3. Remove the push rods.
  4. Remove the tappets through the push rod openings in the cylinder head with a Hydraulic Valve Tappet Removal/Installation Tool. A cured gasket is part of the engine cylinder head cover.
Do this first for the valve cover removal procedure..
    1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
    2. Disconnect the Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) vacuum hose from engine cylinder head cover .
    3. Remove the air inlet hose and resonator from the air cleaner and throttle body.
    4. Remove the engine cylinder head cover mounting bolts.
    5. Remove the engine cylinder head cover.
    6. Remove any original sealer from the cover sealing surface of the engine cylinder head and clean the surface using a fabric cleaner.
    7. Remove all residue from the sealing surface using a clean, dry cloth.

Attachments

• 2.5 tappet special tool..gif
    2.5 tappet special tool..gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 220
Wow THANKS i didnt know threre was a tool to remove them. :eek: OR the name of the tool.

I thought i had to take the head back off & drop the oil pan or something. U just saved me a ton of time. (& $) I'll keep u updated. :shades: by the way. Where can i get this tool at?

You can order it from a dealer or if i were you i'd buy a long shank 90* pick to carefully remove the tappets.

Back