Adding power sterering to '82CJ5

digimike

My CJ does not have power steering and I am thinking about adding it. It seems like a fairly simple system, but I have not had any experience with it before.
If anyone has done this before, what am I looking at for parts and is it worth it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
2107793238_272c514ca3-1.jpg

Stock engine? As far as being worth it, I'd say that if you are running larger tires, then it would be very helpful

PO had replaced the 151ci 4 with a '80's Chevy 3.8 V6. Engine is awesome, strong, reliable and smooth, but it may make for some compatibility issues.
Wouldn't a junkyard have a pump and bracket for the motor? Then run lines to a CJ ps steering box?

I added one to my CJ. A friend who owned a shop put it in for me. It seems to me it cost about $150, but that included a friend discount and was several years ago. Man oh man was it worth it. I run a front locker, and it makes a HUGE difference when the front axle's locked.

It is very worth it and very easy. You will need a Power Steering box, a pitman arm for a power steering box, a new end to your steering shaft that attatches to the box and a pump, and pump bracket. I most of my parts from a place in Sandy, Utah that sells used Jeep parts. The tricky part for you will be finding hoses that will mount to both the pump and the box. I think most gm trucks run the same steering box It may be a little different. My S-10 Blazer looked pretty much the same so you may not have compatibility issues with the engine. I would also recomend a MORE steering bracket the stock jeep one is really weak. I picked up the bell end to the steering shaft from MEPCO in Salt Lake. (I lived there at the time) I am sure you could get it at most Jeep suppliers. One thing you have to watch for is the early Jeep Power steering boxes I think through 81 had a differant seal for the hoses. I went with the 82 set up that uses O rings that may be compatible with your engine. I also bought new hoses.

I hate to High Jack this thread...but,

(I lived there at the time)

You still admit it AV?!?!?!
Like what? you forgot my E-Mail address? Long time no hear!
You still got your old bucket of rust? Do you still remember how to put it into 4 wheel drive?
PM us!

Now back to your adding power steering thread.

So you think I should look for a '82-'86 CJ power steering set-up and find a way to mount the pump to the motor?
Or, do you think I will have to use a Chevy pump/bracket and CJ steering box/Arm, then just hose them together?
I know the guys at my local Checker store and they would probably pull a CJ and Chevy pump to see if they match up mounts and hoses.
I like the M.O.R.E bracket idea too. I have their shackles front/back and they are the toughest things I have seen.
I'll do a bit more research, but you guys have got me in the right direction.
THANKS, I'll keep you posted

MM

Use a pump, bracket and belt for the Chevy motor. Also need to make sure you have a pulley on the engine to drive the pump. I'd like to say that the pump is driven off the crank pulley, but not sure. Search the web for a belt diagram to verify. If you don't have an extra groove on the crank pulley, they are easy to swap with a junkyard special.
Use CJ parts for the steering box, bracket, sector shaft and drag link. CJ hoses should also work since both used a Saginaw steering pump.

I had to convert my current CJ to power. I used a CJ power setup that I had laying around, but it seems to be getting hard to find those around here.

Apparently you can use the GM boxes, or any similar Saginaw box(I think they are marked "76"?), as I know people who have them on their Jeeps. You might have to play around with shaft couplers and hoses, but a box from a Chevy car or S-10 can be used from what I've been told. The advantage there is that you might be able to grab the whole conversion from any 60 degree V6 powered GM RWD vehicle, like a 2.8L powered S-10, which are common in junkyards. Also, different vehicles had different steering box gear ratios. A box from a GM sports car, like a Camaro for example, would go from lock to lock faster than the box from a big station wagon.

Using the whole setup from a FSJ is supposed to be easy.

Use a pump, bracket and belt for the Chevy motor. Also need to make sure you have a pulley on the engine to drive the pump. I'd like to say that the pump is driven off the crank pulley, but not sure. Search the web for a belt diagram to verify. If you don't have an extra groove on the crank pulley, they are easy to swap with a junkyard special.
Use CJ parts for the steering box, bracket, sector shaft and drag link. CJ hoses should also work since both used a Saginaw steering pump.

Rooster hit it right on the head -

I'd definitely get a CJ5 box for it as I wouldn't want to screw around with the ratio on that short wheelbase.

Back