90 Jeep Indicator Problems

tomchan

I'm new to this site, so this may be in wrong place. Bought 90 Wrangler. Now have all exterior lights working (tail, stop, turn, backup), interior courtesy light, hazard flasher (front and rear lights), and headlight high beams. However, only the right turn signal lamp lights up (blinks) in the dash mounted indicator light panel (above steering wheel). I'm thinking these all have a common problem. But maybe I have more than one. Don't think I have a seat belt switch in the seat belt apparatus. And, don't know if vihicle is Emission or Upshift equipped. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, this vehicle came with what I consider a strange wiring harness to the backup switch on the transmission. Has 4 wires down to transmission (BR/GN, YL/BK, Pink/BK, Pink/BK). Two Pink/BK wires were attached to a connector which was attached to the backup switch on the transmission - but backup lights would not work. BR/GN and YL/BK were attached to a connector that was not connected to any thing (but appears to be the proper connector for backup switch harness). My Haynes wiring diagrams indicate the BR/GN and YL/BK should have been attached to backup switch. So, I cut off the connector on the pink wires and spliced in the BR/GN and YL/BK wires and like magic the backup lights now work!! So what should I do with the twor Pink/BK wires? Wiring diagram says they should loop back into harness connector back up the line - one to a BK wire going to a central ground(?) point (99), and the other to a BK/WT wire to the starter relay. Is this true?

There should be little light bulbs in the column cluster behind the dash. One may have fell out, that used to happen to me all the time on the speedo cluster. I dont know about your wiring to the trans

So.....If I'm tracking what you're saying, the lights/devices work but they just do not register on the dash panel except for the right turn signal?

As for the trans, will it start without the clutch pedal pushed in?

Last edited:
Yes, lights/devices work but do not register on dash (except for right turn signal). I tried to pull out the indicator panel to inspect it, but I can not get the connectors off on each end of the indicator panel. Do you know how to do that?

Bulbs are intact. Even tried swapping bulbs and bulb holders but nothing changes. Only right blinker signal works.

This may sound odd, but have you checked the fuse panel? There is one fuse for the instrument panel. It is possible that the right signal is back feeding current with a blown fuse. Just a thought since you have already found another problem with the wiring around the shifter.

Back