84 CJ7 258 starter

Does the engine turn over at all, or are you just getting a click?
You could try testing the starter out of the vehicle, hooking it up directly to a battery to see if it spins.
From there, you could try to turn the engine over by hand to see if it's locked up.

Hot battery was clicking before now it’s more of a grinding sound. I guess the flywheel and starter could be bind up. I can uninstall and reinstall I guess. Is there a relay I can check? Or these the only two components.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

As mentioned above. Manually turn engine with battery disconnected. Have the starter and battery load tested. Also clean to a shine the battery connections. Starter connections and ground connection.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Check the oil and verify the level (make sure it's not empty).

If it's hard to tun over by hand, pull the plugs and squirt some lubricant down there and wait a day or two, then try again.

As mentioned above. Manually turn engine with battery disconnected. Have the starter and battery load tested. Also clean to a shine the battery connections. Starter connections and ground connection.

I’ve never turned one over by hand won’t this make it out of time is there anything I need to do besides take the plugs out and disconnect the battery? How much should I turn it over?
Thanks

I’ve never turned one over by hand won’t this make it out of time is there anything I need to do besides take the plugs out and disconnect the battery? How much should I turn it over?
Thanks

The thing we are getting at, is if the engine is locked up. An engine could lock up because of internal damage, or just from sitting too long and developing some rust inside.

All the starter does when starting a car is turn the engine quickly - fast enough for the engine to start. When you turn by hand you are doing the same thing as the starter. You won't hurt the engine, however there is a chance the engine actually could start, and you get caught in the fan, that's why we mention to disconnect the battery (so it can't start). All you really need to turn the engine over is one or two revolutions, as long as it is easy to turn.

If you can't turn it by hand, then take the spark plugs out and squirt some lubricant in the holes (WD40, marvel mystery oil, etc) and let it sit a day. This will help loosen any rust or ridges around the piston rings. If this works, you'd probably want to change your oil after.

Id use atf trans fluid in the cylinders to loosen rust and clean rings. Only a tablespoon full in each cylinder.

Only turn the engine clockwise.

The thing we are getting at, is if the engine is locked up. An engine could lock up because of internal damage, or just from sitting too long and developing some rust inside.

All the starter does when starting a car is turn the engine quickly - fast enough for the engine to start. When you turn by hand you are doing the same thing as the starter. You won't hurt the engine, however there is a chance the engine actually could start, and you get caught in the fan, that's why we mention to disconnect the battery (so it can't start). All you really need to turn the engine over is one or two revolutions, as long as it is easy to turn.

If you can't turn it by hand, then take the spark plugs out and squirt some lubricant in the holes (WD40, marvel mystery oil, etc) and let it sit a day. This will help loosen any rust or ridges around the piston rings. If this works, you'd probably want to change your oil after.
Thanks Terry, great info, let u know how it goes!

One of my favorite Youtubers is Vice Grip Garage - he's always taking cars out of fields and getting them running. I looked for some videos of him fixing locked up engines and found this:

One of my favorite Youtubers is Vice Grip Garage - he's always taking cars out of fields and getting them running. I looked for some videos of him fixing locked up engines and found this:

She’s only been sitting up about six months and she was running like a top before that so we should get her back going

Back