2001 Wrangler Sway Bar Link Busted

edeboode

Although I believe my front drivers side sway bar link has been broken for ahwile, after being on the trail this weekend, whatever life that was left in it is now gone! This is now just an excuse to get quick disconnects, but I am having an issue getting my factory sway bar links off. The broken links ball joint no longer stays in the bushing so I started by removing the nut that holds the ball joint to the sway bar, but since it was very rusted, i snapped the bolt/nut, and the ball joint is still connected to the sway bar. I have tried banging on it with a hammer (not as hard as i can yet), but it doesn't seem to want to move. Should I be able to knock that thing loose with a hammer and maybe some regiments of liquid wrench? I am still a rookie at this, so any advice i could get would go along way. Also, if anyone has any articles/walk throughs on how to remove the factory sway bar links would also be helpful.

Apply some heat on it then swing away with the hammer.

yup.. might take 10 minutes of smashing it to get it off, but it will eventually pop off.

last set I did, I took the entire swap bar off the jeep and put it into the vise, took 4 good wacks and came off.

That's exactly what I have done. I got both links disconnected from the Axle, so i just pulled the whole sway bar off thinking i would have a better chance of getting enough leverage to knock that thing out. I haven't tried to remove the other link yet, but i am assuming i will run into the same issue. I can't wait to get these quick discos on.

Back