1993 YJ transfer case? Noise

lmelito

I have a 1993 Jeep YJ 2.5L, AX5 manual transmission. I’m hearing a loud knocking noise while driving. It happens in every gear and, while diving if I push in the clutch it does not go away. It does not knock if just parked and running. Only while moving does the knocking occur. It drives normally, no power loss, only very loud knocking which can be felt in the shifter. The knocking is so loud and hard it feels as if something is going to break. There is more play in the rear drive shaft than seems normal-about 3/4 turn in the drive shaft before it engages. The u-joints are new and in good shape.

Thanks!

Last edited:

is there still fluid in the transfer case and transmission?

and it turns at the tcase side, is what you are saying? you can drop the tcase and open it up to check whats going on. if i remember right, they are chain drive and there is a shift arm/lever that has some teflon to move the chain back and forth to where you shift it. other than that, i think the only thing would be bearings or maybe chain slop, though chain slop sounds like a chain sliding on metal, not knocking.

lets see what the other guys think

here is a video on the j231. its what was in my yj. i assume you have that also but verify as i had the 4.2 and 4.0 yjs.

I bought a new chain. I’m going to pull the transfer case. I think the chain is the culprit. I’m hoping anyway. The video is a big help. Thanks. I do have the NP231.

Back