1974 cj5 seat brackets

jason.morrison.7

Hello guys I have a question, I have a 74 cj5 with a 304 in it, I have just started the rebuild on it.... Currently the tub doesn't have any seats or brackets the tub also doesn't have any bolt holes drilled out, basically I have a new floor... I'm wondering if I can install any year jeep seat brackets or does only the 70-75 seat brackets fit.. Someone told me there is a big difference between 74/75 and the 76 and up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dimensionally the tubs are the same, but the seating positions changed I think in 70, moving the driver to the left just a bit from the earlier seating position. The 76 and up is completely different, different brackets and all. If you have a blank floor I would think you could put the later 76 brackets and seats in it, although you may have to make some modifications as the floor layouts are different, meaning the 76 and up floor may have a hump in it that the seat bracket is molded for and the 70-75 may be flat and you would have to
accommodate that. So to answer your question best I can, I don't know but would think you could.

here is a idea I have seen. Your year seat brackets bolt to the door opening on both driver and passenger side. you could run two bars from driver to passenger side door opening where the seat bracket holes are and bolt them in, put a support bar in the middle from the bar to the floor where the transmission hump is, then bolt your seats to your new home made seat bracket/mount. It would kinda look like a side way "H". Down the road if you get a full cage you can weld the new seat brackets to the cage.

scratch that idea of the above suggestion. I just went out to the garage and looked at my seat brackets, I must have seen that on a cj-7 because that wont work on ours. you could run one bar all the way across and then run two from it back to the raised floor on each side for the seats to sit on... Let me know if you want a pic of my brackets and maybe you could come up with a way to make your own.

Ok thank you,a pic would be great... I'm having a hard time with this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a few pictures yesterday, now I just have to figure out how to post them.. I have been told before so I think I will figure it out. ill get them up as soon as I can..

Back