1974 CJ restore project

I put a fiberglass tub on my jeep and I honestly don't like it. I would have much rather went with the steel one. Just my opinion.

Do you have an area in your garage to devote at least a year for this project? If so go for it, I did a 74 cj5 and it took 1 1/2 years to finish and I have the space and have done this before, you need mig welders, plasma cutter or cut off wheel,grinders, polishing wheels, counter space, engine hoist, trans jack, lift, BIG boxes of new bolts, brakes tools, pullers, paint gun, pick up truck to haul parts back and forth and most important patience, oh did I mention counter space ? Yes I did, you need twice the space you think you need, here is a few pictures of my rebuild

I cant add a website so if you copy this and paste you should be able to see the pictures
picasaweb.google.com/seans67camaro/JeepWarthog?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7bwbC3_--RbQ&feat=directlink

add the http to the front

I say if you like it do it. I did a full restoration and reconstruction on my 78 cj. Every bit as worth it to me. If you plan on ding panels instead of a new tub no problem half of the cost is the labor. If you do decide to do a new tub, I recommend a steel tub. 4wd.com will ship it for free. As for engine i like the original in line 6 but if you want a v8 then go with a chevy 350 they make a bell housing for a t18 transmission that bolts right on. I bout a bell housing that fits 6 different engines so you kind can take your pick from there. If you decide to go with flat fenders let me know i have a set that i will be selling when i get home they are new and have never even ben mounted.

looks like you have a ton of fun ahead. I restored two jeeps (my first two vehicles I ever owned) and loved every minute of it. Currently shopping now for a CJ-7 project vehicle so my 10 yr old and I can have some fun in the garage. Work on his first vehicle, to be his when he turns 16.

Back