1" body lift how hard?

blackcj7

My 84 cj7 already has a 3" lift and 33 inch tires on it. I would like to put a 1 inch body lift on it. How hard is this, and what else am I going to have to do to the jeep? [addsig]

Normally I'd say easy, you just loosen all the bolts, and jack up your jeep one side at a time and put the new hardware in. The only real problem comes in loosening all the bolts. My 85 was VERY rusty, and it was hard to get all the bolts loose. If you've got air tools then you're fine, if not then get some liquid wrench (like WD 40) and spray all bolts the day before, and use a breaker bar on the end of your socket wrench.

A one inch body lift doesn't require anything like steering shaft lenghtening, and is pretty easy to do. Much easier than putting in a suspension lift.

[addsig]

Its been my experience that the boxed nuts inside the floor panel supports break free and just turn and turn and turn and turn, so there is only one way to get the bolts out and that's to cut them..... Once you cut them though, you're still boned because you're left with boxed nuts that spin, cut off bolts and no way to tighten the new bolts even if you get the old bolts out. You can also expect at least 2 of your frame mounts to be rotted out. Bodylifts on their own are a bad idea, but when you throw in these other variables, you could be opening up a nasty can of worms. Hope this helps.

[addsig]

dont forget engine compartment stuff. Fan shroad,brake lines,clutch linkage,shift linkage,fuel filler hose........[addsig]

I did mine is a little over 2 hours by myself. I did not run into any problems and the only thing I had to adjust was the linkage for the automatic. Nothing else needed to be changed. I was really suprised that I did not have to cut off any bolts but sometines you get lucky and sometines you don't.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You may want to consider the more expensive daystar 1" body so that you can change out all of the body mounts. Perf. Access. uses a puck and your stock mounts. My 84 CJ was not that bad to do. I sprayed the bolts for a week before twice a day with a denutter, didn't break a single one. took about 1-1/2 hrs but I do a few of these.

Good luck

Eastcoastoffroad.com

[addsig]

Bought mine form MORE, If i remember it was around a hundred with new poly bushings and some *special* metal pucks.

ecor - that denutter sounds like harsh stuff
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Found the Daystars in Quadratec for 100.00. What is MORE? [addsig]

you can also try www.jeeperz-creeperz.com

the guys name is Kevin. that is where i bought mine.
image-missing.png
when you install this kit it will eliminate all other bushings. The blocks actually measure 1 3/4". I like it and it was very easy to install, but beware there instructions suck!!!! If you get it and have any questions feel free to email me at cj7taz@comcast.net. good luck.[addsig]

Back