Looking for some tools

Engir

I need to purchase a power steering pulley puller for my 87 XJ 4.0 I am looking at some pullers that are universal not finding one that says it works for Jeeps specifically let alone my year. These pullers talk about measuring the hub diameter to know if the kit will work... What hub are they talking about, are they talking about the nub on the pulley where the tool attaches and how is that a hub?

What tools worked and are well made?

I am also looking for a pivot pin puller my steering column is loose and I need to fix it I found a couple on Amazon but I have no idea if any of them work if you have done this please post a link or image of your tool?

Thanks

I don't have experience with your year XJ, but I would start with the rental tools from your local parts store. My go-to is Advance Auto, but O'Reilys and Auto Zone rent them as well.

I just rented a full ball joint kit, and it was $239 deposit that I got back when I returned them.

The hub should be the center part that goes around the shaft protruding from the pump.

The hub should be the center part that goes around the shaft protruding from the pump.
I measured this center nob and got 1 and an 1/8th I think that is what I need to measure?

1720355185508.jpeg

Last edited:
That should be it. There is a bolt that sits there and some hooks that hook the edge of the pulley or in the holes. You tighten the bolt and pull the pulley off the shaft

I bought a 14 piece kit by powerbuilt Amazon asin # B0028QGTWM for the pulley puller

The steering column pivot pin puller is by Lisle asin # B000P0ZJTC

I did not have anyone give any recommendation on any tool so I choose these and placed the order last night.

I also got a new power steering pulley mine is solid so you have to pull it to remove the pump and resevior the new one has cut-outs so I can remove the assembly without removing the pulley.

Thanks

I don't have experience with your year XJ, but I would start with the rental tools from your local parts store. My go-to is Advance Auto, but O'Reilys and Auto Zone rent them as well.

I just rented a full ball joint kit, and it was $239 deposit that I got back when I returned them.

Agree!!!

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back