Free Speech

Chirp sound near front wheel

laneiac said:
Just out of curiousity, how does H.R. Block pay oversea employees to do Americans taxex? Isnt that the place that you walk into and say, "Here, do my taxes"? Correct me if Im wrong.

Yes it is. But this year the announced they will be sending at least 20% of all returns they handle to be prepared in India then returned to the us. So when you go in and they say it will be a week for us to finish your return> Guess what you where just sent to Inda. How is this our presidents fault? Bank of America just announced its sencond call center going up in india that will be home to over 10,000 back end jobs and call centers. Now, I dont know if you saw in the news last week BOA is laying off a additional 10,000 american based jobs this week. Grant it they did just buy another bank, but some of those jobs where sent to inda. If I rember correctly Nike is the one now using vietnam to make your shoes.

8) Man I love you people. I want to sit in a coffee house one afternoon with you all. lol

So, my reflections on all this, going back to the post that said "cuz I read it in a book":

History-I grew up with four major adult influences in my life. Two (my parents) were bikers. Hard core harley davidson building, naked pig roast partying, heavily tattooed people. Even though they weren't very conservative, they did set strong guidelines for my lifestyle even up until the age of 17 when I left home for college. My other two major influences were my grandparents on my fathers side, two people who were (and still are) a mirror image of each other 's kindness, intelligence, and love. They are very very conservative religous people, of Christian faith.

As a child, I was raised in the church(s) whether it be attending alongside my beloved grandparents or being dropped off with a squeal of wheels and flames by my parents. If I couldn't get there, I walked several blocks down the highway to attend.

I have always been (whether influenced or chosen) a very spiritual based person. BUT this has evolved into different thinking and practices over the years, as with anyone else churched I'm sure.

Another pesky trait I have that influences this topic is that I am very inquisitive. I am a five why kind of person, always driven to find out what makes the big clock down on main street tick, or figure out what pattern the church bells are ringing in. I also feel driven to question why the elderly lady in the grocery has tears in her eyes, or why the beautiful african child racked with aids in my national geographical book has aids in the first place. I also have a sense of urgency to put myself in thier shoes, I cannot tell you where this comes from.

I have friends of many religions and many practices, both spiritual, churched, and non churched. I have studied multi cultural, multi demoninational (a mouthfull I know) worship myself, as I led a young adult ministry for several years.

To me, the "I read a book", is like MLK stating "I have a dream". Sure, it was a fantastic dream and it pulled many followers that had a similar dream, but that was HIS dream, and the book you reference is YOUR book. Not mine, not the person's next to you, not even your sister or brother possibly. This is all due to perception, intrepretation, and personal differences.

The book that you speak of, I am assuming (although I hate to do this) is the traditional christians bible. This is the book that the Jehovah Witnesses have read and intrepreted to say that they should lead very strict lifestyles and stand apart from others and witness strongly thier beliefs and values. This same book, intrepreted by a Seventh Day Adventist is going to tell them also to live a very strict christ centered lifestyle. Both of these religions are driven to keep thier body as a "temple" and very rightly and they keenly follow it. Did you know that 65% of SDA's are vegitarians? This is not a guideline, but a personal choice that they have made. Now, the same bible in my church (methodist) supposedly (as it was intrepreted to me through teaching) tells me it is okay to have a beer after a church softball game, or to be a smoker, toker, or many other things as long as I am centered on God.

Now, consider that the bible is only ONE of the main texts used in regligions across the globe. The muslim and other faiths follow and choose to belive in totally different concepts of the same group of interests, led by a book other than the bible.

One theme in all this is that most religions are CHRIST centered, if not as the main figure, as a major phrophet and almost always the one coming back to redeem us all. He is the beginning and the end in practically all reglions that call themselves christ based. Even the muslims, who speak of Mohommed as the divine prophet believe that Jesus is of immaculate conception and He is the one coming back to Damascus on the day of judgement, not Mohommed. I almost fell out of my seat when I found this out, I'll never forget the day. It was after the 9/11 fallout against muslims and I was in a class called "meeting your muslim friends". I was blown away by my own misconceptions of thier faith, even as an open minded person.

I honestly believe part of the problem with the difference in all these religious texts and intreprations is due to the fact that they are so old. Were you there when they were written, was I? Of course not. Do you remember in grade school when the teacher told one kid a sentence and had them whisper it around the room? What happened? What came out on the other end was totally different than what the first child said. Now, that doesn't mean it didn't contain some of the same context, but the verbiage, grammar, and tone was different. How can these texts not be the same way? Look how many people have translated them from original form, besides that consider the age of these documents. It's infathomable.

The things I just wrote in that last paragraph for example, cause me to reserve judgement on homosexuality, for one. It is very hard with the language and grammar the bible or even other texts are writtin in, to find a sentence that says "Homosexuality is a sending you to hell if you practic it". Now, the ten commandments, sure I can appreciate that. "THALL SHALT NOT", even a child understands that terminology. I do know that I feel alot of homosexual (and I am not one btw) people are wrongfully persecuted and controlled in ways I do not think they should be. I see no reason why a set of people who have been in a committed relationship for 15 years can't be married. Most likely they are your friends sisters, or your childs schoolteachers and they have real true to life values and morals but a different mindset. They may have even better values than yourself or I, how do we know?

Honestly, I just believe that if I, or you or anyone has a personal relationship with a supreme creator and it is a faith, hope based relationship that keeps you a good person (this is a book in itself), then your probably okay. Not that my book matters except to the two feet of personal space that surrounds me. lol Even those that are not, I can't help but inquire why they believe what they do and where they feel thier beliefs are taking them.

Flame me on this fact, but at 30 I don't vote either. I believe it was Snitty that said something akin to If I don't believe 100% in it, I can't vote. I feel the exact same way and a politician, whether it be the one on my city council or the one on the national races has never appealed to me in any way. I dislike government, although I understand why we have it and the purposes it serves. I am responsible however and have fought this topic inside for years, but I stick to my beliefs and wait for the opponent worthy of my vote.

I also dislike the news, talk shows and most general television shows.

Maybe someday I'll move out on that far away island and build my hut like I've always wanted to do. lol

Thanks for reading my book and feel free to respond. Please Keep in mind, my information is just my personal experience and learnings. I'm not the be all say all in these topics, I just enjoy learning and discussing it. You may have more accurate information than me, when it comes to theology. Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread.

Lady 8)

The Catholic church underwent many changes in the mid 1900's

i'm talking long before the 1900's...

also.. are you saying that murder and a small lie are equally as offensive of sins? is a serial rapist/killer no more offensive than someone who steals a pen from someone else's office? are they both reconciled with equal effort?

Lady,
Your points are made in attempt to explain why my references to the Bible are not valid. You point out there are many different organizations that are or at least claim to be Christ centered. You say it is "your book" and no one elses. You imply that it's inaccureate do to translation.

You must understand that first of all, I am not part of any organization. I am not a member of any religious denomination. I am merely a man who has taken the Bible as the inspired word of God, perfect and true. This means I believe it to be accurate historically and morally. You may not, but I do.

As far as Mingez and you suggesting that I should condone other people's actions even though I believe them to be morally wrong is a waste of time. I believe homosexuality is wrong. period. How I came to that conclusion whether from the Bible or just personal preference does not matter. I think it is sick, immoral, wrong, disgusting, and demented. The people who live their lives trying to turn a sexual perversion into a lifestyle and a civil right are just plain whacko in my book (no pun intended :roll: ). This is how I feel so this is what I speak. They feel otherwise and they speak otherwise. I was asked how I could have that view and I responded with the Bible. If you folks disagree then do so, but trying to discredit the Bible? These arguements go back many many generations - since the days of Christ himself. Fact is, both of us could go on with theory, example, and tradition and we would both make strong cases. That leaves only one thing for me to make my conclusion to the validity of the Bible: my own personal experience. I think I've posted before on this site that I used to be quite a wild reckless dude. You have no idea :lol: . I would be glad to share with anyone interested the reasoning behind my beliefs and what it means to me. Heck I'd drive to that coffee shop and tell you all about it. I'd listen to arguements and answer best I could. This is not the place for that.

are you saying that murder and a small lie are equally as offensive of sins? is a serial rapist/killer no more offensive than someone who steals a pen from someone else's office? are they both reconciled with equal effort?

Well I didn't use the word offensive, you did.

As far as how they are reconciled, yes Snitty, that is exactly what I am saying. Confess, ask for forgiveness, and repent. Obviously a chronic pen theif would have a lot less of an issue with this procedure as a serial rapist :shock:

This all goes to one thing. There 7 (SEVEN) words that can't be said or discussed on public TV or Radio. Please listen to George Carlin to find these. Or you can PM me and I will let you know them.

It is GOOD thing that they are not allowed and even better if they are NEVER allowed. If anyone says or discusses these on a station (TV or Radio) that anyone can hear at anytime, they should be regulated and the Government should be the ones to do it. Why?? because Radiowaves and TV signal crosses State lines and is hense forth a Federal problem.

Well I didn't use the word offensive, you did.
i don't mean offensive to a single person, or to a group... but offensive to God, used against God's will...

Obviously a chronic pen theif would have a lot less of an issue with this procedure as a serial rapist
And that's exactly what I'm saying... of course any sin is a sin.. but... they are commited on different levels... some much stronger than others.. and you're right, if one believes in the Christian way.. then ANY sin should be reconciled

:wink: Twisted- I honestly did not mean to offend or flame your personal beliefs. I just happened to start with a statement you made, but I was actually just showing my own points on the subjects at hand. I had those thoughts the day before of course, but didn't get to post them and the thread exploded. lol

Your right though, were all so different and yet so very strong in our beliefs, it would take much more than words on a screen to get anywhere on this one. I am positive that we can accept and even appreciate that and jeep on.

Are we approaching the final stage of beating the horse near to death? lol

Lady

Wish me luck

Tug-n-pull said:
Again, let me be clear.... Many many Americans don't believe in God. Therefore, "God determined that" is not a valid arguement. It's gotta be something more logical and less theological. And the book you speak of... means nothing to me. Doesn't have any validity. I have 6 other books from 6 other religions sitting on my bookshelf that refute everything in there. I don't care if you're a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Christian.. whatever. The sentence "My God says so" just doesn't cut it.

Let us use Nature! Do you at least believe in Nature? Is it natural for two of the same sex to want to have sex? What other mamal on earth has same sex relationships? How can this be a natural act? As for the 6 books you have that refute the bible please let me know what they are and where in any of them that they say Homosexual are right in what they do. Let me know what religion says killing, stealing, adultery, acts of sexual preversion, or any of the big 10 for that matter is ok. Well leave out the on other God before me and the taken of the name in vain. They are orginals that none of the others thought of.

Religion doesn't belong in government either. Nobody's Religion belongs in Government, hence it's separation from it. Church and State go together like Jeepz, and Lowriders.

Here is where I can not see where you get your information from. Take that dollar out of your pocket and read "Who do we Trust" Repete the Pledge and under who is this nation! This country is founded on God. Read the founding documents and take a close look at the monuments and see who show up everywhere in this great countrys goverment! God does. So my friend you God dont belong statement holds no water! He is all over and through our goverment. Like it or not! The God in this country at the founding was not Ali, Budda, or any other than the Christian God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost.

True, but who determines morality? Who determines what is good? Again, it is a value that changes with everyone. And if somebody says God, I'll bang my head into my keyboard. :lol:
The fact is that what is generally accepted changes and evolves with the culture.

The Majority does! We Vote in this nation to settle this and we have courts to make some of the tough calls. But the elected officals are the voices of the people and they are there by our votes. The only reason I leave God out of this is to protect your head for keyboard dammage. Can you honestly say this culture has evolved to a higher state of morality? Jeeze man get a grip on yourself.

Things that used to be generally accepted:
Blacks not being able to use White waterfountains.
Blacks only being allowed in the back of the bus.

Civil Rights are still being fought for. Not just by the Blacks. The tide is turning slowly but it is turning.
Illegal search and seizure by the government.
How can you think that does not go on any more. Taxes are a form of the same. Stock pile up several full auto weapons and a few other items the goverment frowns upon and see if you are able to keep em if they find you have em!
Burning people at the stake for having differing beliefs.
This is going back a ways wouldn't you say. Not that I disagree with such an out pouring of passion! hehhehehehe
Women not being able to vote.
It was considered "obscene" for women to wear pants.

Well we are ahead of much of the world on that one. Many countrys would just kill em for such a thing.
Jews being sent to concentration camps.
And freed by American lives to get em out of the same.
Japanese being sent to American concentration camps.
Pearl Harbor!!!!! Sould we set the Taliban Free among the general population that are in the same over in Cuba now! The Japanese brought that on them selves! Picked the wrong side to fight for.
Slavery.
Have you been out of the city of late. Grow anything in your part of the world? Who is picken the crops? If they are not carrying a Green Card then they might as well be slaves. Treated like slaves and paid like slaves and fear of deportation keeps em picken cause liven like a slave is better than going home.

As you can see, "General Acceptances" change, we evolve, so do valuse of morality. And remember, many people used the Good Book to justify much of the above.

"No that is not As I can see" that is as you can see! Your dawg just does not hunt.

I can not think of a major religion period that will justify your way of thinking. I can not think of a major goverment that stands for how you believe for that matter. Your argument is weak. I am going to be praying for you like it or not cause I still pray no matter what anyone says. I use to live in the big citys of this great land. I was not always in the small town where your way of thinking would be tauned and discouraged if you made them public. I had almost forgotten there were folks like you out there with nothing to stand for with any real solid moral fiber. I am so sorry for you. tug

Tug, is this the way you ALWAYS debate?? Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but that was not my intent.

However, if you are going to suggest things about me personally, then I suggest you find another topic, because you obviously aren't within the spirit of this thread. That last paragraph is a personal attack, plain and simple, and I expected more from you. Look at TC, he and I disagree, but not once did it degrade to such a lack of maturity as demonstrated in that last post. There is mutual respect. I was shocked by it, because up till this point I veiwed you as a friend with differing veiws, whom I respected and looked forward to reading posts from.

In one post you called my arguement "weak", told me to "get a grip on myself", condescended by telling me "you will pray for me, and I am so sorry for you." Are you kidding me? Exposed you are, more so than a Jackson in a Superbowl, as nobody is buying what you're shoveling.

If you disagree with a point, state the point, then disagree. Don't tell that person they "Need to get a grip." It's simply uncalled for.

Once the "Wise elderstatesman," who kept things civil, you are now the guy who lit the pilot on a civilized discussion on morality and turned it into a flame session. Aimed specifically at me. Who's next? Anyone else who thinks differently than you? Lanieac? Lady?

So back to the discussion, and I'll try not to stoop to the same level.

You said, "The Japanese brought it on themselves." You need to put down the "Good book" and pick up a "history book" Mr. Tug. The Japanese that were sent to concentration camps WERE Americans. Just as much as you or me.

Since you drop the morality card like a Trump to my 4 of hearts, let me point out the fact that you claimed that the "majority determines morality."
I don't deny this! All I claim is that the Majority attitude towards morality evolves and changes. Do you have the audacity to think the MAJORITY opinion is that Japanese Americans "Had it coming" because their homeland was that of the enemy?? AGAIN, THEY WERE AMERICANS. Where were you're ancestors from? If we go to war with that country, you better be the first to raise his hand for the train ride to camp nowhere, especially after that statement.

You say my claim that 'General Acceptances' change and evolve is false. Yet, you mention: "Civil Rights are still being fought for. Not just by the Blacks. The tide is turning slowly but it is turning.
You are contradicting yourself within your own post. "Tide is turning" implies change. So which is it? Things do or don't change? Pick a side and stick with it please. (I think that contradicting oneself is the definitive "weak arguement")

If you can't see that we are better off doing away with Slavery, Women's rights, and the Jewish Holocaust, then I don't know if this is the place for us to discuss this. Rarely even the staunchest of Christian rightists would agree with such a thing.

Are you really suggesting that we go back to Slavery? Take away a woman's right to vote? Continue sending people of certain ethnic make up to concentration camps because they are of an undesirable ethnic make up? I know your answer will be "no" but your arguement is attempting to state that changes in morality don't happen.

I mentioned Jews being sent to Concetration camps as an example of how values of "General Acceptances" change.
Your rebuttle to that is:
"And freed by American lives to get em out of the same." What does that have to do with it?! Many Englishman, and French died too. I was talking about changing tides in values, not the logistics of what ended the Jewish holocaust.

Yes, there are worse places in the world than the US. I love my country, and we are very progressive. (or so I thought)

So, when I suggested: "General Acceptances" change, we evolve, so do values of morality. And remember, many people used the Good Book to justify much of the above.
Your response was: "No that is not As I can see" that is as you can see! Your dawg just does not hunt.

Let me make this clear--The fact that people have different views is EXACTLY MY POINT. Thank you, for helping me cement said point.

I know you may disagree...fine. Understand that I have a different set of values than you. But for the record, I NEVER condoned murder, stealing, rape or anything you mentioned in your post. So quit claiming that by Not being Christain I support such things, it's ludicrious to suggest that only Christians have morales. I am ONLY against your veiws on Gay issues, and your definition of morality or appropriateness.

I know there is an unwritten rule around here to NOT disagree with you Tug. But when such outrageous proclaimations are made, unsubstatiated, and backed only by personal attack, I can't ignore it. Disagree with me, and debate the topic...fine. I believe in your right to your beliefs...even though you don't believe I have a right to mine... because your god tells you so.

FYI- My huntin' dawg ran past your dawg and retreived that bird free and clear!

Sorry if I offend anyone else on this thread, but all credibility on this thread is compromised by not speaking out. If you think I'm out of line, then read the above quoted post of which I'm referring to and I think (hope) you understand why I couldn't let it go.

--mingez

Wow, I didn't know this thread was this good.

Well, I feel I need to put my opinion on the issues being discussed.

Howard Stern Issue : Shoot him! J/K We have entrusted the goverment to protect our society from things that WE, the voting majority , thing is inappropriate. As of today, the majority of the countries voting citizens beleive that nudity, foul language and other socially unacceptable behaviors should not be in everyday media (radio, TV, Newspapers). That does not mean it doesn't happen, but
"WE" beleive that it should not be there. If you feel that he should be allowed to continue his programing the way it is, contact your congressman, or vote for somebody that agrees with you and will fight for what you want.

Smoking: In the past 20 years, more organizations have presured the gov't to place restrictions on smoking because of the effect it has on peoples health. Again, we rely on the gov't to impose restrictions on such things. People need leaders to get organized and fight for "what they want". Our leaders are Gov't officials. No business owner will willfully invest thousands of dollars in their establishment to either separate smokers and non-smokers, OR tell smoking customers that they are not welcome. It is simply not going to happen. Somebody, the gov't in this case, has to "push" thye issue.

Homosexuality: I agree with several of you, specifically Tug, on the point that we are slowly being "brainwashed" into thinking that being gay is "okay", or "right" . I totally understand the "nature Vs Nurture" arguments, and I truly do not feel like going into it right now. I am simply agreeing that Tv, magazines, TV shows, and we as a society, are being "forced" to feel guilty for beleiving that homosexuality is wrong. I don't tend to look at people as being straight or gay, but when it is flaunted in your face, and you are faced with situations that force you to either agree, and "PROMOTE!" homosexuality, then, that's when we have problems. I don't beleive that the gov't should regulate people and their sexual preferences. With that said, the gov't SHOULD NOT "ENDORSE" homosexuality by allowing homosexuals to be married. Let there be no doubt that allowing gays to be married is a big old endorcement! That is my opinion. I don't want to see a constitutional ammendment either.

Okay, GOD, I beleive in God, and the majority of people in this country beleive in a GOD. Therefore, this country will continue to be influenced by God fearing people until the majority of the voting population becomes atheist (spelling?) . There is no way we will ever please everybody, so as long as we vote for people that best represent our belives, then we will be okay. This simply emphasizes the importance of how much your vote counts.

I think that is all that was being discussed here, but if I missed something, then I will come back and continue with that. I do urge eveybody to take a deep breath and calm down. Religion, politics, and such topics tend to excite us and bring out our truest feeling, so please be respecful of others opinions. ;)

-Al

LadyJeepFreak said:
:wink: Twisted- I honestly did not mean to offend or flame your personal beliefs.
Lady

LJF - I did not feel offended at all. I was just pointing out that my views were valid to me, even if not so to you guys.
LadyJeepFreak said:
Are we approaching the final stage of beating the horse near to death? lol
Lady
beatdeadhorse-1.gif

Mingez...I hear you on that post. I think Tug crossed over the line there. There is a point where you go from a difference of opinion to ignorance.

Tug

First let me say a debate isn't a debate without differences of opinion and deep discussion. I think we'll all agree that.

I guess you can tell by my long post that my ideas aren't anywhere close to most of yours here. That's what makes me me and you you. Together, as one person with the same thoughts life would be totally boring.

However, I must agree that your last post is out of line totally. As well as pointing your your views and backing them with reasons, You make very personal remarks against another (Mingez)

This right here:

I had almost forgotten there were folks like you out there with nothing to stand for with any real solid moral fiber. I am so sorry for you. tug

Is the cincher. Alot of what you wrote is impassioned and that's okay too, to me anyway But, THAT line is more than impassioned, it's judgemental and unjustly stated in my opinion.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

Lady

I must say that I was somewhat shocked to see Tug's reply... As Mingez wrote, Tug is usually the wise, elder jeeper who brings everyone together. But for some reason it was very different this time. Not mad at ya Tug, just wondering what made you so mad, and in turn made you attack Mingez personally. Even me and twisted argued, and we seem to generally agree on most things, but kept it civil. I hate to see any of us belittle each other, and Tug, I must say most of us look up to, and you let us down. I mean I feel honored when you respond to my posts (actually I feel honored when anyone does), but I am wondering if you would lay into me as you did Mingez if we disagreed on something. You of all people, Tug, seem to be the most accepting of differnet beliefs, even if it does not match your own, and your failure to do so with Mingez has me, and I am sure others, upset. P.S. This post has to hold the record for the longest non-sticky post

Jeez, ok folks I think he gets the point. The rest of us should probably just Let him and Mingez work it out. They are both big boys and I'm sure they will.

Mingez and all others here who has seem my fallen Shame! I am so deeply sorry for the personal attack that I publicly made on my fellow Jeeper Mingez. I coould go no a pour out some personal reasons for my out burst of crazed unthinking verbal abuse but to what point would I stop. I have heard it said, If you wrong someone make it right if you can I am now trying.

I agree it was not my normal thought and or way of being. That being said I wish I could take back what has been said at the personal level but know words are like bullets and can be only sent one way. Mengez I hope you are able to see past my indiscression and forgive an old fool.

Debate is not my strong suite and shold not again step into something this deep again here on jeepz, unless clear headed and not angry. You are intitled to all your beliefs and I am so taken back by all that I said in this post against you. Please take my public regrets with the same consideration you did my sharpe words. I am an old fool and only human. I stumbled and I am very sorry. Tug AKA Danny

Back