Your Choice for Lift on a YJ?

Tug-n-pull

I want to pole the members here on Jeepz. So far Rubicon looks best for the money to me. I use my jeep for a daily ride so there is more on road drive time than off road. However I do spend as much time as I can off road. I want the best of both worlds. 2.5" is my target lift. I also wnat to find tires that grip off road but don't sing to loud on the pavement if you know of any. Thanks for your time.[addsig]

You're definately on the right track with Rubicon Express. For the money, they've got some great kits. We all know there's better stuff out there, but it all comes down to the most bang for your buck. I've got an SOA conversion kit from RE and I'm real happy with it! 2 1/2" kits are great 'cause you don't really have to do any driveline mods right away (gets you lifted fast and cheap!). Throw on a 2" body lift (to eventually be removed later if you do heavy wheeling; although mine's been fine and I wheel the ___ out of it), and get yerself some 33" BFG KM's. The KM's are quiet, and light, so they won't kill your on road performance like a swamper or cheapo mud terrain tire would. Two things to keep in mind: #1 - Can you put up with driving a little slower, as the larger tires will bog you down a little (2.5l engines= a lot of bog and no 5th gear). #2 - Is this all you want to do, or will you eventually want to do more (in the long run it's cheaper to do it right the first time). -Why go with 33's? Well, it seems everybody always starts out saying, "I just want a little boost, figure 31's will be fine". Then a year later they're all trying to sell the 31" tires to get 33's. Just get the 33's first and be done with it; that way you won't be wasting money.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You might want to look into Old Man Emu which is made by ARB. They're one of the more expensive lifts but one of the best for on and off road. I've seen a number of writeups in off road magazines and they all rate Old Man Emu as one of the best if not the best. As for tires, I have Yokohama Geolander Mud Terrains....they're aggressive, very quiet on the road and have excellent traction on and off road. I have both the Old Mann Emu and the Geolanders and I wouldn't go with anything else.[addsig]

A poll? Well, here's what I want: I just want a nice sturdy lift and aggresive tires. I'm not worried about the bumpiness of the ride, I actually kinda like it...it's fun. I don't really care if my tires are loud because i usually have my radio at full blast anyway. I just dont want my tires to wear out fast. I heard about a type of wheel that's all terrain and mud terrain, but i forgot what it was called and who made it. Just my opinion -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks for the input, I will do a bit more research. I ask the folk in the know by checking here. Hope you all the best Tug[addsig]

This is for Jeeper. I have a 93 YJ with a Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift with 33 inch 12.5 TSL Swampers. Good lift with good flex for spring under and the tires are agressive and scream on the road which i LOVE!!! I'd look into this lift (its the extreme duty one by the way)[addsig]

Back