yj transmission fluid

donutsrd

have a 90 yj 2.5l manual 5sp.it has an internal slave cylinder.my question is whether it is an ax-5,or puegot transmission and what type of fluid shuold be in the transmission.any help would be appreciated,thanx

You have the AX-5, as the Peugeot BA 10/5 was discontinued in '89 and was only used in 6 cyl's anyhow.

Good thing you asked instead of looking at a manual. They manuals and even Chiltons and Haynes manuals reccomend GL-5 transmission fluid. That fluid will corrode the brass parts in the transmission and ruin it. It actually takes GL-3, which I only could find at the dealership and it was expensive. I went with the reccomendations of this site and got some Pennzoil Synchromesh which is excellent, but I also have seen Redline MT-90 recommended here by some in the know. Either would be a good choice, but stay away from GL-5!!! It has eaten MANY a transmission.

the benefit of the Redline MT90 is it's fully synthetic, smoother cold weather shifting and specially formulated to be easy on the soft brass synchros of the AX5 and AX15. It's available at www.summitracing.com and some performance shops.

Back