XJ Roof Rack Reccomendations?

jeepmaster

i just got new tires and wheels and got a full size spare. i have a system in my trunk/cargo area so i need to relocate the spare up top. does anyone have any recomendations or any pics of their XJ's already with a rack on it. thanks ~ max oh and i have the factory roof rack if that matters

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=wild

that should be a link to some racks at rusty's off road (you can buy them elsewhere also). you can also get a similar setup from yakima that might be more versatile because it would allow you to swap between bike carriers, ski racks, safari basket/tire holder, etc. i would recommend removing the factory rails (they are cheesy and won't take much abuse), especially if you are going to be relocating the spare to the roof. or maybe you could sell your subs and get some smaller ones:) i have 2 10" alpines in my cargo area and they fit real nicely along with a full size spare, and i still have plenty of room left for other junk (if i need more, they have quick disconnects so i can take them right out). good luck.

i have a surco rack with plenty off stuff on it.
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

i guess its hard to tell the pics are from my phone. ive got my spare 33 a highlift and 4 lights at the moment.

Check out this awesome jeep site, a great idea

[quote="maybe you could sell your subs and get some smaller ones:) i have 2 10" alpines in my cargo area and they fit real nicely along with a full size spare, and i still have plenty of room left for other junk (if i need more, they have quick disconnects so i can take them right out). good luck.[/quote]

i got two 15" subs that say your 2 10" aint got nothing on me!! (and 1200 rms) he he.

I am custom building my rack out of 1" square tubing. I go and get the expanded metal for it on friday and hope to have it ready for paint by the end of the week.

here are a few pics of the progress so far though.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

agoldxj - how much was your rack and where did you get it?

mujaman - i dont know anything about roofracks, are the rails the part actually attached to the roof, or the moveable parts?

and i have 2 12" L7's with a 2400 watt amp that say your 2 10's and your 2 15's COMBINED dont have nothin on me :D

so are we talking stricly SPL here, sq, or a sql? cause i know i got your L7's in sq and sql, but not so sure bout the spl portion cause i havent been metered. but suspect high 140's to low 150's. might even be able to get mid 150's with my removable and tunnable ports!! so dont get to overconfident jsut yet!!LOL i will most deffinatly give you a run for your money.
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/424410/2 for pics.
dont know if you have heard of adire audio but i am running two tempests and a jbl 1200.1 amp @2 ohms.

food for thought, brand name alone wont get you anywhere but a empty wallet!! LOL

Re: 98 CHEROKEE- BAD FRONT REAR???????HELP

Hi,

I'd say the rails usually refer to the cross bars which go from side to side, while the tracks are the metal channels which run from front to back and to which the rails attach. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

i like your style akasha haha and thanks nick for the help with the rails and the tracks. i think i found a nice rack, but i also found a nice lift while i was looking, so we'll see what i end up with.

my rack was a little over 200 bucks. they have them at 4wd hardware i think. but i picked mine up brand new from a guy on jeepin.com.

i just ordered a Surco one, it came in just a little over 200 with the mounting kit.

XJNick said:
Hi,

I'd say the rails usually refer to the cross bars which go from side to side, while the tracks are the metal channels which run from front to back and to which the rails attach. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Or you could just call them "Thing-a-mah-jigs" or "Whatcha-ma-callems".

That usually gets me by.

i call them the "slidey things" i got my rack today by the way, it was really easy to assemble and install. only took me a little more than an hour by myself. it looks pretty sweet. thanks for the surco tip

the only problem was a few slashes in the paint from the mounting brackets.. ill get some pics as soon as i get back from CO

Back