Xfer Case replaced = shift setup problem?

LeeV

I replaced a demolished xfer case and u joints and odd bits in our 88 XJ. When I got her all together, fired it up and carefully drove up the street it seemed to be sluggish, as though it's in 4wd. Messing around, I discovered that when the 4wd shifter is in 4H I believe I'm in 2wd! I'm not sure how this might have happened other than I might have moved the linkage; is this just a linkage adjustment?

I would adjust it. Pop off the linkage. Manually put t case in 4 low. Then pull lever to 4 low. Loosen the adjuster. Slide it till it goes on to t case. Tighten it down. Try it out.

I would adjust it. Pop off the linkage. Manually put t case in 4 low. Then pull lever to 4 low. Loosen the adjuster. Slide it till it goes on to t case. Tighten it down. Try it out.

Thanks for the reply, and it makes perfect sense with only one question: how do you put the t case in 4 low - how do you know where that position is? By lever, I'm assuming you mean the hand lever in the console.

If you have someone pull the lever you will see the direction. 4lo is all the way one way. 4 hi is all the way opposite can't remember which way off by heart.

If you have someone pull the lever you will see the direction. 4lo is all the way one way. 4 hi is all the way opposite can't remember which way off by heart.

If that's true, then where is 2wd? I have the Select-trac with the full time 4wd if that makes any difference.

So if my shift lever starts with 2wd and the opposite end is 4H, then I need to manually shift the xfer case to the opposite end and rehook the linkage. I just can't figure out how it got like this; I never moved the linkage (that I remember!!!!) ;-)

2wd will be opposite 4 lo. Sorry. Mind was else where. My xj goes. 2 4 part 4 full n 4lo. Is that your pattern

2wd will be opposite 4 lo. Sorry. Mind was else where. My xj goes. 2 4 part 4 full n 4lo. Is that your pattern

Yes it is. I misspoke; when the shifter is in 4lo the vehicle seems to be in 2wd. Ok, when I pulled into the garage I seemed to be in 2wd with the shifter at 4lo. So I unhooked the linkage rod attached to the lever on the xfer case. I then slid the shifter to 2wd and went back underneath, but the linkage rod can't even come close to the xfer case lever, so that's not going to work! This makes absolutely no sense!

They both have to be all the way the same way for it to work. Did you put a t case drop kit or anything else at that time.

Back