WTF... airing out my dirty laundry

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Ever have a week were things don't seem to go your way, well.. while in PAP two weeks ago, I got luck enough to loose my brakes on a blue 3 which is not a easy trail but not the hardest I have been on. But with no brakes, oh it got a lot harder!

So we got back to the hotels so I could track down the problem better..

Turns out that the Torque screw that secured the line to the frame near the front tire hard worked it-self loose, and from all the flexing and pulling from years of wheeling, the hard line let loose.

When removing the lines after I wheeled one day, but paid for two :evil: and drove home the 9 hours, there were actually three breaks in the line and crumbled when I pulled it out. so... I figured since I am at it, I will replace everything, upgraded to a ZJ porportioning valve, a new to me Master, new hard lines and soft in the front, left the rear alone cause I am lazy!

So..... Start to bleed the front brakes, just when I though I was done, the rear line shoot brake fluid all over the place. Luck F-in me!

So I had to wait for three days of rain to pass, finally got them rear lines all fixed new from the master to the axles, go to bleed the rear, and the gosh darn bleeder valve falls right off into my hand.........

Time for new wheel cylinders, on both sides. Yippy

all in all finally done, got brakes!

Moral of the story... Brakes are over rated.

So...you drove 9 hours home with little or no brakes? That must have been fun.
I lost a brake line to a side lug on a TSL one time. It snatched one of those fancy stainlees steel jobs right out of the crimp. I fortunately had an oak tree nearby that made itself useful and prevented me from going over the side of the mountain. It was bandaged with a pair of vise grips and a wire tie to hold them to the frame. One working brake on the fornt makes for an interesting ride home. Look out mailboxes!

I lost brakes going down a steep hill one time in my old blazer. Parking brake, Park gear, some side banks, and a tree came in handy there. I didn't have any tools and it was late, so I chained it to a tree and went back in the morning... I blew a wheel cylinder was all. But the only thing I could do to get out of there was to smash my line with a rock, and drive it on out. Funny thing was... on the way out, there were some high school kids partying in the woods, it was just getting dark the second day. They all ran.

Back