Wrangler Sport Info

hopesail

The soft top of my wrangler is ripping and fraying near the 2-piece clips just above the doors. could this have been prevented? can it be repaired? or has my rookie status forced me to buy a new top?
anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions?

take your top to a local upholstery repair shop and they can stich ir back up for you, unless you know some one with an industrial sized sewing machine.
As to preventing it? Will hope some one here might know.

have you seen this happen? it seems like a bad design to have the clips in two pieces and with non rounded edges.

Hi,

FYI... this post is better off in the CJ,YJ,TJ (wrangler) forum, you'll get more answers over there :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Yes I have seen the tops rip before.. the flapping in the breeze does take its toll in every soft top.

Proboly no way to really prevent it . . maybe if you caught it really early you could have stopped it a lot easier but it seems like your proboly gonna have to get it professionally repaired which might cost some money but not really sure. Just get yourself a bimini top . . . or lose it all in general . . . hehe ~Justin

Your best bet might be to get a "re-place-a-top" from bestop. I don't own a TJ nor am I overly farmiliar with the soft top setup but from what you describe it seems that the tears are sizably large, and might be dificult to repair. If you do option for a new top, I would locate the spots of tearing and put some maliable plastc on that area with some adhesive to secure it.

if its wearing out see where is starting from... mine was wearing out from the inside rite where the fabric rubs against the frame so i put a few layers of duct tape on the inside and its stoped it.

Back