Wiring e fans

cest_moi65

Hi, just installed the twin E fans from flex-a-lite which only came w/2 pigtails. instructions are minimal, stating to use inline fuses supplied. NOT. Contacted manufacturer which said fuses are only supplied when purchasing the kit w/temp control, an additional $60. Believe I can run each fan thru a 30 amp inline fuse then to sep. toggle switches thus allowing me an option of using 1 or both fans. Question: should I hard wire 1 fan to run continously and use a t.s. for fan 2? The tech advisor did not mention anything about using relays - and I forgot to ask. The fans on the spec sheet states the draw is about 22 amps. Does that mean each fan draws 11 amps? I'm open to suggestions from you knowledgeable Jeepers out there. Many thanks!

Welcome to Jeepz James. I would not recomend for the fan to run at all times with the engine on specially on colder weathers. It would be harder for the engine to reach it normal operating temperature that way. As for the toggle switch, as long as your diligent enough to watch your temperature gauge to know when to toggle it on and off, you should be fine. I've set mine up with an adjustable temperature module from Carquest. I installed a 30amp inline fuse on the load side of the circuit. As far as relays are concerned, the module has a built in relay in it already.

2X I wouldn't directly hard wire it. Your alternator will have a high constant draw. An additional 22A is quite high and you may note your lights will dim and possibly your battery drain with a constant 22A draw. Esp if you have more extras in the circuit like an amp or off road lights... Plus what happens when you sut the jeep of ro forget to shut off the fans?
Some advice. Buy the $60 controller or some controller that will kick on the fans at the correct temp. Use heavier gauge wire ( like 8 or 10 gauge) than the pig tails from the battery to the fan, as pigtails are usually too thin for long lengths.
The starting current for the first 1/4 sec will be around 29 A. A Fast blow 30 will blow out within the first week. I put a 1/2 Farad cap across the pwr and ground close to the relay/controller.
Get the install info for the flex-a-lite 485 and use it. It was clear and easy to follow.

Last edited:
Back