Winches????

robo83

i would really like to get a wich on my jeep so i dont have to go get the bulldozer next time i think i can make it threw an overflowed creek. but i dont know what to get and im kinda tight on money. ive heard good things anout warn and superwinch and all kinds of other ones. ive heard some things about smitty biult to, but ive also heard bad things about them. i just want something that no matter what(as long as i take care of it) it will work, and not set me back to much. if anybody has one around 9000 lbs that is in fairly good condition and works good, let me know. im probably limited to a $350 maybe $400.

Thanks guys

If you want reliability, stick to the well known brands (Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey, etc.), but those will no be exactly cheap... I personally run a superwinch, but the brand is a personal prefference. Look online, and you will find tons of opinions and guides.

my buddy has a smitty built and he said it works great. but ive read reviews on the smitty built stuff and saw a couple of unhappy people, and a couple of very happy people. i dont know if i want to risk it.

I've ran a couple of Ramsey's and have been happy with them. I've loaded them up pretty hard, many times, and they keep going. I don't have much personal experiance with other brands though. Warn seems to be the standard for being "the shizzel".

I've ran a couple of Ramsey's and have been happy with them. I've loaded them up pretty hard, many times, and they keep going. I don't have much personal experiance with other brands though. Warn seems to be the standard for being "the shizzel".

the SHIZZEL? lol now thats funny:p

Main drawbacks I've heard on the Smittybuilts are SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW line speed and you need a minimum 650 CCA battery like an Optima to run them cause they pull a ton of juice.

i dont care if its slow as long as it gets me out. my friend thast has a smitty said his only quit cause he pulled out a big f250 that was like 12000lbs with his 8000 lb winch

My 8000lb Warn has pulled fullsize trucks many times and it's still as strong as when it was new. One time i had to wrap a chain around a big tree hooked up to my rear bumper so i could yank out a Ford F-350 quadcab diesel out of a mud pit that was buried all the way to its door jamb. Granted that the recovery wasn't succesfull but at least the owner of the truck knows now that the heavy duty front bumper he has is only as good as it's mount.:D

I have had my Warn M8 winch on the cj for 5 years and only used it to save myself once, I however would not want to have a winch on my jeep for years and the one time I need it it fail me. I feel the little more that the higher quality winches cost is money well spent.

I have had my Warn M8 winch on the cj for 5 years and only used it to save myself once, I however would not want to have a winch on my jeep for years and the one time I need it it fail me. I feel the little more that the higher quality winches cost is money well spent.

I agree; think of it as your offroad insurance policy... Hope you never need it, but it better be there for you when you DO!

yea, i want a warn for the reliability, but im not out every weekend gettin stuck. i might be out once a month if that. but right now i dont have the money for a warn

Try superwinch. They are VERY well made, reliable, and less expensive than Warn. Load rating for the second and third layers are not as good as Warn, though...

Back