Whats wrong with this picture ?

greg92jeepxj

Official Supporter
image-2651427765.jpg

If anyone would like to actually go online and research this posting on the autotrader site as a potential buyer , I'd like an opinion . The pics show a clean , possibly repaired floor and rear wells but the outer pics tell a different story .
Rough paint on top of diamond plate and no mention of the chassis ! The engine compartment looks rough ( loose wiring and rust , corrosion everywhere ! ) . Would you trip to this dealer for a peak ? Autotrader is a reputable online site and the dealer claims so to . Not placing judgement at all , but I would like someone's opinion who has looked at many more jeeps than I .

sorry the spam followed my post ! :redface:

That first jeep is a steel tub that appears to be recently painted, the front fenders and hood appear to be original and in surprisingly good shape. My concern is why the tub is painted and/or restored and not the rest. Might be covering up rust might have just been repaired. For the asking price I would expect it to be at a minimum a 4.2. I am not a fan of the 4 cyl.

Other than the motor and the Bro-ed up pedals, looks to be pretty decent. I'd buy that for $3 grand max.

The second one I can not get the link, but 59 CJ should be a F-head. Looks very clean and in good shape and probably well worth the $5 grand depending on the level of restoration and when it was completed. Also the evaluation would depend on options that I can not see or read, underdrive, pto implements, special dash plaques etc.. That said, if you were to buy a jeep with a L or F head motor, do not anticipate driving on the high way, they max out around 45-50 mph pretty much WOT.

Thank you for your reply and opinion , will be well respected . As Bounty_Hunter posted , needs further inspection as the diamond has aroused suspicion . Yes , $3000 max !
The '59 vintage CJ has my attention and certainly , in my opinion , the one to go for but is only an F - head as stated and short chassis making swapping a V8 difficult , if not impossible . I would only use it for pleasure , not a DD as I would only want to enjoy it for what it is as I feel it should be . Should I want a daily driver , the '81 CJ , if solid , would be the choice .
I like the '81 for that reason , but my heart seems to follow the '59 . Decisions , decisions .

Just food for thought.
If your going to swap any motor into that 59 chassis, I would not bother with a V8, every other system and component in the jeep will suffer and ultimately fail (frame, t-case, trans, axles, ect..) The vehicle was never designed to have a motor produce that much power. If it were me, I would leave it as is or, if it needed a motor (and stock was not an option,) I would look for a 88+ 2.5 from a YJ to swap in. EFI with very simple electornics and decent power band that will not over come the other components. I would also put a slightly larger tire since that jeep is most likely geards 5.38:1 and will get you into the right power band/rpm's

My thoughts exactly . The 2.5 ltr is plenty of engine and will not tear up a vintage drive train and there are moderate upgrades to improve power and economy to an acceptable level that this jeep will handle . Thank you so much for your advice , a smart person would heed it .

The first picture looks like a Daisy Duke fixer upper.
Although, I think "Dixie" had full metal or metal half doors.

Back