What's wrong with owning a TJ?

Copper42

I recently had a friend riding with me, and she started busting my chops for driving a TJ. What's with the somewhat of a cold cold shoulder people driving a TJ get? Is there something I am missing? :?:

you are not missing anything. When someone bust on you for having a TJ just tell them a Jeep is a Jeep no matter what kind it is. Jeep is an attitude not just which kind of model you drive. Hey in addition to a TJ I have a KJ and some people give those an even bigger cold shoulder. It just makes me laugh at their sillyness :roll: Be proud of your Jeep no matter what kind it is. As long as you like it then everything else shouldn't matter.

The TJ jab was invented to give the YJ Jab a break. The YJ jab have been in placed to relieve the CJ jab that the pre 71 boys used. It is hazeing, a break in thing, for all new jeeps. Pick on the new kid thing. Now that is for all of the short wheel based jeeps anyway. As for the long wheel based fixed door suv types well they are going to get jabed form now on. To me a Jeep is more than a name. If anything that has Jeep writen on it is a real jeep we have to consider the strolers, bicycles, and what ever else the market throws to us as a jeep as well. Versaitle is for me anyway the real test or key to being a real jeep. being of a 4x4 nature with few frills, being able to throw off the top, or doors, or both is what makes a Jeep so unique. Now I know ol tug going to get hate mail for saying this but that is the way I feel. Seriously befor I put hard earned money into a newer TJ I would find a good CJ or YJ platform to build up from. Say you paid 18K or more for a TJ well I could build me a real nice YJ for one half of that and have money to put into something else. Tug

HA HA... you guys drive TJ's...

(kidding by the way, i'd like to have one, so I wouldn't have to worry about how anti-pavement i make my YJ)

I have a tj and I think they are the best jeeps yet. mine goes anywhere and is still somewhat pleasant to drive on the highway. I still like all jeeps though.

"Real Jeeps have round headlights...." That was a bumper sticker I got a kick out of.I have a '74 CJ5 and my dad has an '03. I tease him all the time about his "city Jeep". But Tug is right, "Its a Jeep thing....everyone else just can't understand....." Just laugh and say at least I have one....

jaber said:
"Real Jeeps have round headlights...." That was a bumper sticker I got a kick out of.I have a '74 CJ5 and my dad has an '03. I tease him all the time about his "city Jeep". But Tug is right, "Its a Jeep thing....everyone else just can't understand....." Just laugh and say at least I have one....

Me and you are sort of in the same boat.I have an 82 cj,and my dad as a 99 TJ.He says,look at my jeep flex,bet you cant do that!And I just say,yeah,well I can try!And stuff like,lets see you do this with dissconnects.I am more capable then you with disconnects then you are with disconnects.

But it is just a little tease between us.He has still got me beat on flex though. :roll: Sully

the TJ jabbers are just jealous cause you have a smoother ride than they do is all...;)

I think in stock trim, the TJ is probably a bit more capable than a YJ, CJ, XJ, KJ, WJ, ZY (get it) I think this is due to some of the upgraded equiptment that they come standard with; coils F&R, rear D44, larger wheel openings, etc. But once you make the first modification to any jeep, then it is a more level playing field!

I agree it's JUST a hazing thing.

I will point out though, and don't get testy TJ owners, you're not the people I am talking about. Your here your definitely enthusiasts. (It was the same with YJ's too) 90% of TJ owners don't wave back. "They" don't understand either. You see a CJ on the road and you know they are die hard Jeep fans. (It takes one to drive and own one) Most YJ drivers are enthusiastic fans as well. But unless you see a TJ with Off-road accessories on it you almost never even get waved at, let alone even noticed your a Jeep driving by. I have several times sat side by side at a light never even a glance over. I of course start making funny faces, act like I am talking to them. :D

You won't gain the respect of others till all the "Hey it's cool and the IN thang" crowd gets weeded out of them. When you start living with the pains, quirks, strange things that only an older Jeep can rear, then maybe.

:D everyone knows how I feel. I am proud to be able to get a tire almost 3 feet off the ground and still have the other 3 touching and my TJ is still stable. I finally tested it on a ramp. I end up thinking that TJ, even with the Mod costs, are equal to the "lesser beings" (CJ & YJ) even in Mod price. Sure it costs more to Mod a TJ but it takes Less moding to get out there in the hard trails. My Mods have cost me a total of $908, 2" lift BDS shocks, 31 A/T, AR/Pythons, Discos, hi-lift mount and jack. I don't think that is TOO awful a price to be able to go where I want to go.

I have had CJ Owners that will not wave. Look me right in the face while I am grinning and waving and they basically stick their nose up, like they are better than me. Now if Jeepin is a livelyhood you expect a little more from your elders.

Tires, is wider better?

who cares what kind of jeep it is, its still a jeep and it kicks a$$ i got a tj and i love it woo hooo

Each Jeep class (CJ, YJ, TJ,) has its die hard fans.
What everyone is failing to notice is the other sticker on your Jeep... Yes I am talking about the JEEP sticker.
Yes now you all remember it. What does that mean ?? EH ?
It means we all own a Jeep. New, old, lifted or stock...its a Jeep Wangler.
We all own one...thats why we are here. So if some one is busting your chops about what class you drive...ask them where is there's?
Then tell them to drive a few miles in your tread pattern before they open there mouth. If nothing more you get a little off roading in and maybe they will get stuck so you can bust there chops about getting stuck.

Some of you mentioned people that don't wave or even acknowledge other Jeepers. I have a few in my town that never wave, but many, many do wave back. I always wave to all of them. I guess you're right they just don't get it (the ones who never wave). I keep wavin' and hope that it's a new Jeep and it will come to 'em sooner or later. There must be alot on their minds that keeps 'em from basking the the sheer joy of driving one of these machines! I feel sorry for them.
TJ's, YJ's, CJ's, and all the predecessors are all fine looking trail capabe vehicles that have only each other in their class. I think all their owners should be treated as family. I guess to some it's the TJ's turn to be the red-headed step child for a little while.
As for me - I'll stick to my square headlights! :lol:

hey twisted copper I live in parkville too lets hook up and go wheelin
443 722 7957 Christian

Alright!!! I used to know a bunch of good spots around harford county, but I was younger then, and most of them are developments now or illegal. There's a pretty good little place to get muddy and climb a few hills in the Abingdon/riverside area, and I hear the Delta, PA area has a few nice trails. Do you know any good spots relatively nearby?

Got a pic of your Jeep? I might recognize it.

Check your personal messages.

sudden loss of idle and power

What's wrong with owning a TJ?

Absolutely Nothing
image-missing.png

-Nick :!:

First - I'm a YJ fan
Second - I'm a SWB Jeep fan
Third - I'm a Jeep fan

I thought the TJ's were too "car-like" when they first came out, with their hand-brake and cup holders and stock roll-bar speakers... and in a way, I still think that.

But the Rubicon is a TJ.... and I'd take that thing over any YJ or CJ anyday. Sure it costs 5 times more than I paid for my YJ, but what a Jeep!

Back