What is a VET?????

L33TJ33P

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the souls ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking. What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel. He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel. She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang. He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs. He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand. He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by. He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknown, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come. He is an ordinary and yet extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded. Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

Remember November 11th is Veterans Day. It is the soldier not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester . . . to burn the flag.

Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Well said!

Again I have to add, raise a glass and offer thanks to all who have served no matter what their capacity...

It's through their dedication and sacrifices that we all are able to celebrate the freedom that we have.

For the Glory of the Infantry,

-Greywolf (former Sergeant)

He is the one that give us freedom!

I always say Thank You to our service men and women - for with out them, I would not be free.

Don't forget all those civilians that keep there checks coming to them in a timely manor.

The checks that military folks get are cut by military payroll or Dispersing groups. The Money military gets is taxed so they pay themselves. ;-)

Seems like double jeopardy to me, no??

Jason you know where my family stands when it comes to the military! They are at the top of our prayer list and we are will to what ever. To help a fellow vet when it is needed. All paid some and some paid all. tug

PS give me a call pal!

Hey all. Ain't been on in a while but glad to see this kind of post. Last week i was in DC. I went to Arlington Cemetery, and the Korean and Vietnam War Memorials. I know some of you can't understand what a 16 yr old kild like me would go to these places for. Of course that's saying i don't have family there. Which i don't. It meant very much for me. Those people are my brothers and sisters. I know it's either you understand or don't so i won't try to explain. But on Nov. 11 I will be leading my AFJROTC Drill Team in a parade to honor all veterans. And I'm very proud to do it. Thanks vets
Mike

Thank you very much to the VETS out there that have graced the rest of us with their time and lives to allow us to live in a free country!!!

THIS ONE goes out to all and both of my grandfathers

L33TJ33P

Actualy Military payroll is mainly civilians. I'm one of them.

Checks? It was all mandatory Direct Deposit for us. Big thanks to all my fellow veterans out there, your actions and dedication are very much appreciated :mrgreen:

Checks/Direct deposit...it don't matter. There are thousands of Civis that manage your accounts weather it is getting your bonuses fixed to changing and reissueing your W2's (thats what I do). You are right that Marines are on a different pay system but I'm sure that it isn't ALL military.

I work for the DOD Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS)

As my sig says: May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather!!

My dad was in Nam, and appreciates all of the flag burning and demonstrating that goes on. He thinks that it is evidence that freedom is working and that he didn't serve for nothing. Doesn't take it offensively, but rather as an example of our country's greatness.

I Bought GEARS!!!!

Thats really great man. I hold anyone who has had any kind of military service in the highest regard. On monday I will be remembering them as I take part in the 21 gun salute as part of the PSU Hazleton Army ROTC Veteran's Day Ceremonies.

TARSI

::bump::: Needs to be Up top so everyone can read it again on Nov. 11

Back