what axles will fit my YJ

daves91

i heard you take axles out of a waggy and put them into a YJ what years will fit and what needs to be done to do this

Almost any Wagoneer from the '80s will have the correct axles, just insure the front axle has a drivers side diff and the rear diff is centered.

A better rear axle would be a Dana44 from a mid to late '90s Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Passport, same 6-lug wheel pattern as the Wagoneer front axle but has disc brakes.

for the front, the steering will need to be addressed, you can use the factory Waggy tie rod can be used, but the drag link will need modification, or you can go to a Hi-steer setup, but that is a whole new can of worms.

Ideally the pass. spring perch will need to be cut off and moved inward 1/2" and the webing in the casting for the drivers side will need to have a 1/2" removed and the old center pin welded and a new one drilled. you can re-use the stock shock mounts from the waggy. The drive shaft will probably need to be shorten since the D44 is larger, but the same u-joints are used.

for the rear, best thing you can do it strip the axle of everything and start from scratch.

I have put a waggy 44 front into a YJ with out modifying the front perches, not recomended, but doable. Just used some 1/2 offset shackles.

Back