Wet top

Dawnie

WTF... airing out my dirty laundry

I recently changed my top from my factory top to a replacement top made by smittybilt and it rained here last night well the the whole top is damp around the corners or seems.. and it actually was wet enough to drop onto the sound bar .. is this normal ? Doesn't seem to good to me but before I flip out on who i purchased it from I want to make sure it isn't typical

i dont know about other tops, i have the factory top and it doesnt seem to leak at all, nothing looks/ feels damp... just cold, possibly clammy becasue of the coldness but definantly not wet/damp.

No it shouldn't be doing that. The only time mine would get wet inside like that was if It was real foggy and there was Dew on everything...especially if I left the doors off.

But if it's actually soaking through, something is wrong :cry:

Even my cheapo Pavement Ends top doesn't leak. I did have a Bestop Tigertop on a CJ that did the same thing though. I wouldn't normally worry about seeping seams, but the possibility of screwing up the soundbar sucks. The top is there to keep weather OUT. I'd start bitching and moaning about it and see if they will let you return it, then go buy a better top.

RE: What can I say, it

Nope, shouldn't be doing that at all! That really sucks! Last weekend at the campout, we had a hard freeze over Saturday night. I had no rear windows in the YJ and there was a quarter inch of frost all over everything inside. By the time the sun had cleared the hills in the east, it was all gone, and not the slightest bit damp. Sorry for rambling, waaaaay too much coffee today!!!!!

Your top is flawed, if it is installed properly.

My new Bestop for VEX went through a thunderstorm last night: 1 1/2" of rain and hail, in an hour. I had just put the top back on about 40 minutes before the storm. This morning it was bone dry inside as it should be.

Get it replaced.

I bought it off ebay from these people called MORP miller off road something or other .. it says on the windows its a outback... i guess made by that smittybuilt. Well thank god it didnt rain much anymore but you can see where it was wet cause when it dried it has t hat wet stain,I am so frustrated cause now If i have to return which their ad's say no returns .. but if they wanted me to send it back i will be topless lol cause i got rid of myold one ! I imagine it's on right all the snaps are snapped and the slider thing is slid in I followed their directions...
I don't know .. the guy hasn't answered my email yet so I will give him til tomorrow then I am going to call.. I am less better at remaining calm on the phone which is why my 1st response was via email.

Well the guy finally answered me he said ... in places of 'extreme'weather we need to weather proof the top .. I don't consider bethlehem PA extreme weather lol I thought it rained everywhere at somepoint .. but have any of you guys ever weather proofed your top? If so where would I get the stuff?

my mom always used to weather proof our camping gear when i was a kid incase it rained (hiking boots, jackets, tents) you can get comthing called scotch gaurd or somthing like that. i'm sure there are different brands. dont know if its what they were talking about. but if it is i think you can get it at walmart or other similar stores

RE: 92 cherokee Aut. not shifting, only 1 gear

take it up with ebay, if a company doesnt provide a product as promised or it doesnt perform like it should, the company has to take it back. dont get scammed like that. those kind of people just make up excuse after excuse so you cant return it. the top shouldnt do that and they sold you a faulty top. if it was brand new this should be even easier to deal with. take it up with ebay and make sure you get your money back

RE: extra extra read all about it

You got pummelled in the pucker hole......you shouldn't have to "weather proof" any top for a convertible vehicle. It's an issue of basic product performance expectations. Law says when you buy a product to perform a specific funtion, the expectation is that it will do just that. You bought a top to keep rain out, and it doesn't do it, you are entitled to satisfaction from the company either in a top that will perform, or your money back. I say get your money back and buy from a reputable company. Ya get what ya pay for. Spend the extra for a Best Top or similar product and be done with it.

RE: 1976 CJ Rockcrawler Mud truck 450HP/Boggers

I'm going to look into this I will let you know what happens Thanks !

did you use Paypal? They have a buyer protection service you may need to look into. Also, if the seller continues to dodge you try eBay's SafeHarbor.

That stinks

TwistedCopper said:
did you use Paypal? They have a buyer protection service you may need to look into. Also, if the seller continues to dodge you try eBay's SafeHarbor.

That stinks

Neither Paypal's buyer protection or eBay's SafeHarbor are worth a crap. Been through both of them, and they pretty much sucked. eBay's take: "We'll contact the seller, if they agree to return your money, then it's settled. If they refuse to return your money, then it's settled. Have a nice day."

PayPal's take: (see eBay's take above).

New pics

Hi-Ya Dawnie,

I agree that you should not have to "weatherproof" a new top, but...

Camping/outdoor/backpacking suppliers usually carry (or at least, used to carry) a treatment for the sewn seams of canvas tents.

(Anybody remember canvas tents?)

If worse come to worse...might be worth a shot as a desperation measure.

Regards,

Gadget

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky, Paypal just re-imbursed my friend for a set of D35 axle shafts he paid for but never received.

I'm sure it wasn't PayPal, it was the person he bought them from most likely. Yeah, sometimes you'll get your money back, but only if the other party is willing to give it up. PayPal doesn't make insurance claims, they don't pay out money, they merely suggest to the offending party to make good on the deal....

Inspector-Gadget said:
Hi-Ya Dawnie,

I agree that you should not have to "weatherproof" a new top, but...

Camping/outdoor/backpacking suppliers usually carry (or at least, used to carry) a treatment for the sewn seams of canvas tents.

(Anybody remember canvas tents?)

If worse come to worse...might be worth a shot as a desperation measure.

Regards,

Gadget

I'd definitely give that a shot, at least until you can get another top from a reputable company. You're gonna be topless as soon as you ship this one back, right, Dawnie?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I remember those big, smelly, mildewed, leaky canvas tents from summer hell...errr, camp.

exactly I would be topless .. and it is rainy over here - so I may have to try the sealer.. It's worth a shot and I looked up the bestops they are expensive too much so for me.. I don't have anywhere near that money - SOOO i guess you get what u pay for :( ..the guy is a bit of a ass so I guess I won't be getting anything from him - he is a real sarcastic loser. He told me to call smittybuilt they carry the warranty ... we will see.

Back