Wench!?

YJnamedTJ

Hey guys jus wondering( i know i ask too many questions) a winch whats like the best bang for my buck when it comes to em'? i mean there a hydrolic winches electric winches ? their made by warn mile marker and many others whats a good and sturdy one for a jeep thats going to be lightly modified....33" tires and an 8.8 rear with a couple inches of lift???

Aweright!

but i like how you have one squarly planted on the front of your jeep far_right

Call the junkyards, ask if they have any off of wrecked vehicles that you could buy. Check the parts section of any local auto classifieds. Winches are designed to be durable and truthfully, most winches don't get used that much. You can save alot on a used winch.
Think about all those H2 owners that wanted to complete the "image" and install a winch. After their dumbasses actually take that piece of crap offroad and roll or tank it, somebody is going to get that unused 12,000# Warn for a bit of a discount.

hydraulic winches tend to run cooler because they use no electric motor... instead, they have a VERY complex system of hydraulic pumps and whatnot that run off the motor.

I am pondering this same question right now. Its time for a winch on one of my trucks. Hydrolics sounds nice but what if you stalled in some deep water. An electric winch thats sealed could could still work. If you were pinned against a tree on a steep hill and your battery power is marginal(after cranking the starter in gear a few times to try to get unstuck) you might not have the battery power for a long pull. I guess it depends on what you plan on getting stuck in, aaa no I mean what you plan on going through! But then who needs a winch. I havn't had one since I bought my first truck in 1980. I always manage to get out with a strap and another truck. The other truck is always stronger than winch.

That may be true joe. Except when you out weigh the jeep be a few thousand. Then A winch ( sometimes a snatch block ) is only thing left.
If you go out on your own ( like me all too often ) better get the winch.
I like the ramsey, but go for the warn if you have the money, Get me one while your at it .

is it hard to change this seal?

Hey white whats up. How have you been. Well i like to go out on my own and thats one of the reasons i want a winch. Since i probably would not do a deep water crossing alone the hydrolic may be the best choice.

As luck would have it I now have two winches. Figures that after 15 years of wheelin without a winch, I win my club's winch raffle after installing a winch the year before. I'm not going to replace the Warn M8274 with the Warn M8000 that I won, so I'm debating installing it on the back of my jeep, or selling it and buying jeep parts. I'm leaning towards selling the new M8000, I don't really need a rear winch as I never wheel alone.

Got a cool Warn accessory bag with the winch. It's got the snatch block, clevis, chain, treesaver, gloves, I'll be keeping that.

You guys really should reconsider wheeling alone, it's a lot safer to have help and have somebody watching your back, can't be too safe.

well how much would you want for that extra winch yove got? cause im looking to get one cause i like to wheel alone and it sucked when i got stuck and had to search for wood and diglike hell..... but a few hours later i got loose and crawled my jeep out stil going forward over then hole just alot fast than i tryed b4 so yeah .........frozen mud kinda sux in that cituation

My Jeep had a new Milemarker Hydro on it when I bought it. I ended up selling it on e-bay because you could take a nap while waiting for it to spool in unloaded. Here's the major issue with a hydro winch: your factory power steering pump runs it. The power steering only operates when the engine is running. Not only that but the factory pump only puts out 1.4 GPM max which is very low output (that's why it is slow). THe hydro winch would be awesome on a Bobcat or Tractor that has a higher output pump.
If you are like me then you rarely get your Jeep stuck in something where you can always have the engine running. The problem is compounded if you have a carb that floods. Either the Jeep is upside down, standing straight up, on it's side or buried over the hood.
I scored a used Warn XD9000i from a power company truck with a new motor for $400. I snatched that up like free lunch and sold the Mile marker for $350.

A good friend of mine just ordered me a lift, so he gets the winch and my jeep gets more altitude. Now when the lifts get here I have to put mine on and his. I'm going to flip the YJ steering while I'm at it.

Bounty let me get this straight, he bought you a lift, you give him yours, and the new winch? how big of a lift are you getting SOA? Plus you do all of the labor! Where do i sign up for that

Back